Tire size for Cooper AT3's?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hahahaha Jwest. I knew what Mhz stood for once I had the context.

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, you're right. Don't know why, but I thought the 285/60r18s were 32.0".

As far as TPMS, I have an '06 HSE and no TPMS. I'm not sure, but I think mine was purchased in Nov, which would have been an early MY build.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Houm, you're right. Don't know why, but I thought the 285/60r18s were 32.0".

As far as TPMS, I have an '06 HSE and no TPMS. I'm not sure, but I think mine was purchased in Nov, which would have been an early MY build.

"Nov" of what year dude? Nov is late in the year if it was 06.

I bought my 06 in the spring 2006 and it had tpms. However, regardless of when a vehicle is "bought", it's build date is what matters and they can sit on lots for months and even be dealer traded making it longer than you'd think sometimes. The build date is printed on them though so it's easy to figure out.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great you found yourself some 18's.

Why "assume" ? You wouldn't buy something without looking at a real photo anyway would you? Just look for the aluminum metal valve stem. If it's black, it rubber and not tpms.

Where are you located? Having a separate set of wheels with winter spec is really nice.

I assume because I didn't ask, nor do i particularly care to be honest. Picking up the rims tomorrow night.

I'm in Toronto, The Disco is currently on Alenza's. It drives fine in the snow but it doesn't stop or turn very well. I know it's mostly weight, but it's off putting when it goes as if it's on tarmac in the winter, but when you make a turn you realize 'riiiiight it's snow'

cmb6s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Nov" of what year dude? Nov is late in the year if it was 06.

I bought my 06 in the spring 2006 and it had tpms. However, regardless of when a vehicle is "bought", it's build date is what matters and they can sit on lots for months and even be dealer traded making it longer than you'd think sometimes. The build date is printed on them though so it's easy to figure out.

Build date of Nov 2005. Sold in March, 2006. No TPMS. Was bummed at first, but actually pretty happy now. I'm one of those people who check my tire pressure all the time anyway, and it would just be one more expense and an annoyance on the trail.

Codename Duchess

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a bit of an update, picked up the rims, and the tires on them are 255/60 winters.

Rides much smoother than the 19's :)

bonz

Reaction score
So still looking at tires.
I've been around and round on what I'm going to get. Looking at BFGs and general Grabbers, Nittos, etc. Now looking seriously at the Cooper AT3 after reading about them. They don't have as an aggressive look, but seem to perform better than more aggressive looking competitors.
Anyway,,found this thread in my research.
Was a little confused and wanted clarification.

In regards to the LT265/65-18, I know that's the limit without modification, my question is regarding the spare. Will it fit without modification? I'm not opposed to deflating some. Or, would the LT265/60 be a better choice? What would I be gaining with that extra inch of diameter. Although looking on tread depot, that size is out of stock

Edit: looking at the cooper site, looks like they don't make that size at all. Bummer. They make it in a non LT version, but I'm not sure about that load range.

Last edited:

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@bonz what is your actual question?

The person posting this was just wondering if he/she should or shouldn't go with the slightly taller tire. On one hand they get a little larger tire on the other it likely wouldn't fit in the spare area without being deflated. Then the whole discussion becomes overcome by events as tread depot (apparently their only source for tires) was out of stock.

Just get the BFGs and be done with it. Unless you want an American made tire then get the Coopers.

bonz

Reaction score
Touché'

What advantage do I get from a tire one inch taller than my other choices?
I'd like a tire that's safe on the road as this is my daily driver with quite,a few long distance drives.,. I want a tire that's good off road but I do minimal rock crawling.

The cooper,appeals to me.,

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The advantage of the taller tire should be fairly elementary. You get 0.5" of ground clearance, first of all. Second of all, the taller tires take "bigger bites" out of rocks, roots, etc...so in general bigger is better for off-road up to a point. That point is when you have to make modifications and/or change the gearing in the drivetrain. For the LR3 that is ~32" OD.

Now, if you really don't need the off-road capability, I'd say just stick with the stock size and get an AT tread.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM