Tow Hitch Bike Rack Questions...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

R

rheudabaga

I want to get a rear, tow-hitch mounted bike rack. A few questions.

I thought I had the tow package, but I'm not sure. I have a downward facing receiving end with a red plastic cap on it, that angles towards the back of the vehicle at about 45 degrees. It seems I'm missing a piece that angles the hitch to 90 degrees (from the ground) and adds that generic square recepticle that you see on most trucks.

Anyhow, I haven't been able to see the Rover branded bike rack up close. Does anyone here have that? How many bikes does it hold? Is it of the same quality as the Yakima and Thule racks.

Secondly, If I were to get a Yakima or Thule rack, what size connector am I looking for? Will I need an extra adaptor piece, like I suspect, to make it work?

I know, I know, read the manual. I'm away from home this weekend without the manual. I'll look it up and call my dealer tomorrow, but I thought you guys might be an even better source of info in the meantime.

R

rheudabaga

Thanks Grommet...that 'adaptor' or quick-release tow hitch is what I'll need.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
rheudabaga.....have you checked to see if the "hitch" is stowed in an inside compartment ??? On my HSE 7 the hitch is stowed in the left rear behind an access panel

HTH
John

S

schafari

Check the lower driver side access panel that is near the rear driver side tail light on the inside of the vehicle. The receiver may be there already. The Yakima or Thule rack you will want is the 2" rack. The LR3 has the 2" receiver and hitch.

R

rheudabaga

The manual clearly states that the hitch should be in the drivers-side stow-away cubby-hole in the rear of the vechicle (under the floor in the 5 seat version). Mine is not there and my dealer says that none of the vehicles he checked there have them. He said the quick release hitch is over $300 bucks.

What do you all recommend? Should I make the case that this hitch should really be part of my package?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Then you have to buy the wiring harness...
You'd better really want your bikes on the back, because it costs a lot more (unless you're getting the hitch anyway) than putting them on the roof. Personally, I like them better on the roof anyhow, less road grime IMO, and no impaired visibility out the back.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I posted earlier, the hitch receiver was orderable from the factory as a "tow package" for 2005... they gave you the hitch receiver (and, for 7-seaters, the generally pointless side internal holder/strap for it - why would I carry this when I don't need it?). This is what my 2005 was ordered with; it was not free. The lamest part: the "tow package" didn't even include the tow electrics.

For 2006, they killed the so-called "tow package." You just buy the receiver and you basically have the 2005 tow package.

Land Rover's documentation is far from perfect... though they do try to identify optional items in certain markets, they obviously miss a few.

R

rheudabaga

It's not that I was ignoring your comment, or didn't believe you, Grommet, it was just the conflicting info I was getting from the manual, internet, and my salesman. (You can still select the tow package as an option on the internet, and one of the vehicles I was looking at listed the 'tow package' as included. This was on an 06 vehicle.)

At any rate, it looks like I'll have to purchase the quick-release tow hitch if I want to get that style of bike carrier. Even though there might be more road grime to deal with (hadn't thought of that before, roverman), I think it's still the best option for this vehicle. I've always had a roof rack on my station wagons, so I agree that such a rack is usually the best way to go. In this case, it will be easier for my wife to load up the bikes with the kids and we can do so in our parking garage instead of having to pull around front and cart the bikes through our lobby (we live in a high rise).

Anyone have a preference between the Land Rover branded bike rack or the Yakima and Thule? I want one that will hold 4 bikes and swing out of the way.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The hard-copy North America marketing brochure for 2006 does not mention it... nor does the landroverusa.com "build your LR3" option. Where do you see it? I don't think the lame "tow package" is back.

Anyway, the LR branded rack is pretty good and has enough clearance. I wouldn't expect much differences between the brands...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9