Towing for the first time, a U-Haul trailer.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nothing big, just either their 4x9 closed or an open 5x9 open utility trailer:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/4x8-Cargo-Trailer-Rental/UV/

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Utility-Trailer-With-Ramp-Rental/RT/

My '16 came with the towing package installed with electrics etc. My question is when going thru the Trailer Setup on the nav screen which type of trailer should I choose from the list of types of trailers (that the Trailer Setup screen displays) for the above two trailers?

Also the video below seems old (looking at the shown UI interface) but it talks about needing a "self adhesive target sticker", is that something that comes with the towing package that I should look for inside my truck?

Ideally would love to get this done today so if I cant find or don't have that needed target sticker and therefore am unable to use the Trailer Setup feature, could I still tow or is it like you have to set the system up first to be able to tow with LR4?

Thanks.

BrandonM7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can tow just fine without setting that up. In fact, even if you have the towing package you don't necessarily have the features mentioned in that video - you have to have the surround camera system for that, and all it does is try to help you back the trailer by making the lines on your back-up camera curve to mimic what the trailer will do. As far as the trailer stability assist, that requires no set up. Once you plug a trailer harness in the vehicle knows you're towing and will do whatever it needs to do should an emergency arise. You'll notice when you turn on your indicators there's a little picture of a trailer blinking along with the regular arrow so you know it's aware of the trailer. You won't have any trouble at all pulling one that small, so if you can't get this visual help thing set up today don't worry, you'll be good to go without it.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boat trailer doesn't even cause the trailer light to come on. LED lights don't pull enough current to trigger it. Still tows the 7k lb+ trailer just fine.

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great, thx. I do have the surround cams option.

Also, its a bit confusing (and the LR4 instructional video above does not make it clear either)... I thought that the Tow Assist and the Trailer Setup features were two different functions offering different benefits. I thought that the The Tow Assist was just for having a reversing/backing up aid with a graphic line showing up on the screen. And the Trailer Setup was for more for the LR4 to know about the trailer (as the setup process asks for specific info about the trailer) to have the on-board computers adjust certain engine or stability parameters etc.

And found out that I have to purchase a drawbar from U-Haul for $24 so I could use their trailer. LR sells a Drawbar/Adjust-a-Ball Set (packaged in a briefcase type box). Is there any advantage to buying that thing from LR which I am sure will cost a lot more. Reason I ask is that my LR4 owner' handbook is very specific about certain dimensions/measurements in their towing section as far the drawbar' length (9 inches I believe) and the rise height (I think about 1.5 inches) etc.

Last edited:

viper_iii

Reaction score
drawbar - don't have to buy theirs - basically its reversed because the LR3/4/RRS puts the hitch too low for most trailers -
has to be lifted...

I wouldn't mess with the tow settings on the screen for a rental trailer - if you owned the trailer then you can setup - but really isn't magic learning how to back up a trailer.

Generally i'd prefer to have camera on the rear of box / rv trailers that adapted into the screen vs seeing the lines. Just my preference though.
RR's in 2008 (evoque full size SC model)-~10/12 had a blue tooth camera option - Adventure camera or something - was lick and stick - never really caught on though.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/6-range-rover-mark-iii-l322/19-venture-cam-only-toy.html

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tow with a U-haul trailer quite often.
I have all three sizes saved into my system in general/utility trailers.
Why have the feature if your not going to use them.
It is pretty easy to tow with the LR4. self leveing suspension, anti away control, reverse assist (lines on the screen), and because of the air suspension much easier to load/offload a trail by yourself.
I also have the LR tow bar setup (got off craigslist for $100). it nice because of the different size balls in the kit. They come up on eBay, and craigslist every so often.

Everyone may seem to think it's easy to tow and reverse a trailer, but it can be a daunting task. Goodluck, and take your time. As my grandfather always told me, no shame in pulling out and starting over again ;)

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is pretty easy to tow with the LR4. self leveing suspension, anti away control, reverse assist (lines on the screen), and because of the air suspension much easier to load/offload a trail by yourself.
I also have the LR tow bar setup (got off craigslist for $100). it nice because of the different size balls in the kit. They come up on eBay, and craigslist every so often.

Everyone may seem to think it's easy to tow and reverse a trailer, but it can be a daunting task. Goodluck, and take your time. As my grandfather always told me, no shame in pulling out and starting over again ;)

Thanks. I finally got the LR drawbar set that comes with the three diff size balls. Disappointed that it didn't come with any instructions at all as far as how to attach the balls to the drawbar. I am totally new to this and trying to learn as I go.

The drawbar set did come with a one-page brief/leaflet which talks about the set' compatibility/incompatibility with LR Hitch receivers (as there have been a few versions of the LR Hitch receivers) as well as the required drawbar' length and rise one "must adhere to". But this note has inaccurate diagrams for the drawbar and old part number for their latest LR Tow Hitch Receiver. I had to go online to verify the old part number with the new part number, etc.

Adding to the confusion, my MY16 Owner' Handbook told me to "must adhere to the following dimensions" of 9 inches of drawbar length and about 2 inches of rise. But the note that came with the LR drawbar set told me that I "must adhere" to the 6 inches of length and 1 inch of rise. So which one of the two is correct?

Furthermore, the unclear diagrams on this leaflet do not resemble anything like the drawbar that came with the set. The diagrams do show the required length/rise for the drawbar but make it unclear how to properly measure the length of the drawbar.

With all this uncertainly about the wrong part number and the discrepancy between the owner' handbook and the leaflet as far as drawbar' length/rise number, I decided to measure the length/rise on the LR drawbar that came with the set, but I kept getting the wrong reading as I kept measuring the drawbar length incorrectly. Asked the dealership and they as usual had zero clue.

I searched online and figured out that the drawbar length is actually measured from the center of the ball to the actual hitch pin hole (and not to the end of the square part that goes into the receiver).

Then it occurred to me that maybe the owner' handbook could be referring to an older version of an LR drawbar that must have accommodated their older Hitch Receiver version which hung much lower and deeper into the truck. I only came up with that thought as I have already previously owned an LR3 with an older Hitch Receiver and because I had noticed two visually different looking boxed versions of LR drawbars set while looking to purchase one. Had I not owned an LR3 with their older lower hanging hitch receiver, I would not have reached this conclusion. I mean how difficult is it to update the handbook or throw in an updated one page supplement in their with handbook? Really clumsy work, LR.

Very frustrating indeed if one is totally Green to towing.

I understand that due to different updates and versions of parts things could get out of hand, but its LRNA' job to keep **** up to date, specially with their dealerships and on their websites. I mean my truck is MY16, we are not talking about a model thats twenty years old. And with the benefits of online web archives and documentations which could be updated instantaneously, even a twenty year old model should have updated information on their site under the Owners' section. Its just ridiculous that I ended up spending so much of my time just so I could stick to their damn specifications which they want me to "must adhere to".

Last edited:

manoftaste

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Jaguardoc, which option from the Trailer Setup' trailer types menu I should choose for the two U-Haul trailer types (see links) I had posted in my orig starting post above?

Also, where would you put the LR Tracking sticker on this trailer:

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailers/5x9-Utility-Trailer-With-Ramp-Rental/RT/

Thanks

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be more worried about the trailer. Check the tires/wheel at the very least. Most UHaul stuff is very poorly maintained.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be more worried about the trailer. Check the tires/wheel at the very least. Most UHaul stuff is very poorly maintained.
Depending on location, most are not too bad. Too much liability on them if something goes wrong.
The trailer carriage rules are a bit more strict than the actual rental trucks.

But for sure absolutely, check everything prior to departure.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM