Trailers - For Camping/Expedition/Fun (w/ photos)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New Airstreams are heavy, if you find a land yacht or any pre 1990's Airstreams you should be okay.

I limited myself to the FLYING CLOUD for that reason, however, I did not look at the tongue weight.

Factory hitch specs 550lbs tongue weight and 7700 lbs Towing??

I am guessing the WD hitch means "Weight Distributing" Hitch. Please show in a picture and describe the one that we would use on our LR3s

Thanks

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, 550lbs max tongue weight. You cannot use a weight distributing (WD) hitch on the LR3. Also keep in mind, that the trailer specs are only for an unladen, dry, and zero optioned trailer. Once you start adding things like two tanks of propane and a battery or two. . .all which usually go on the tongue triangle area. . .you get to the max tongue weight quickly.

I would love the smaller Airstreams but have many kids and the AS's have no bunk beds in any floorplan. GGGrrrr.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GVWR is what I look at for a trailer specs and if it's over 7700lbs I scratch it.

Now, you're on the money w/ Propane, battery box,etc raising the tongue weight real fast. The Fleetwood/Coleman E3 series has tongue weight that is high, and then they have the porch for ATVs that could send the tongue weight way up!

Lastly, Look into the Scamp/Outback Fiberglass trailers.. They aren't as **** as the Airstream BUT are light (1500lbs for the 13ft), aerodynamic, and have bunk options.. :)

schaney

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Scott Chaney, I'm the owner of Compact Camping Concepts.

I wanted to let people that our Explorer Box Tent Topped Camping Trailers are not an off-road trailer, they are aimed at owners of smaller compact vehicles. Although we stock rooftop tents and other part for folks building their own off-road trailers in the Potland/Salem, Oregon area.

ablr3

Reaction score
new to camping

dang! i'm hooked to camping. planning on taking the kids and wife out to some nature camping.

o0OBillO0o

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To me Nature Camping sounds like Old Grand ma. because camping is done in the nature and almost all grandma's are old. what's that called??

Anyways, I hope this makes you want to go camping, plan well, it's always a good time with the family.

What camper would you get?

m5ccie

Reaction score
I ordered the Jayco 23B that met the tongue weight (410 lbs dry + Propane + Battery) and GVW is only 4950 lbs. We like the floorplan a lot; we had the Coyote 23 CMS but the tongue weight was 600+ lbs dry. We didn't have any issues towing it.

I wonder if the max tongue weight capacity is because of the hitch or the vehicle capabilities. My hitch is stamped at 770 lbs tongue weight and 7700 lbs. Others are stamped at 550 lbs tongue weight and 7700 pulling capacity. Does this mean I can have up to 770 lbs of tongue weight because of the hitch even if the manual says 550? I wonder if the 550 lbs the manual claims as the max tongue weight is because of the hitch max? Anyone knows for sure?

Thanks,
Jim

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go for this one and inquire about the long leg option shown in the photo... ;)

Leg.jpg

ablr3

Reaction score
Yup! I am old school, son. I used to camp with tents in my younger days.

I havent quite decided yet which camper. I like the airstream but heavy. Also would like the pop-up.

To me Nature Camping sounds like Old Grand ma. because camping is done in the nature and almost all grandma's are old. what's that called??

Anyways, I hope this makes you want to go camping, plan well, it's always a good time with the family.

What camper would you get?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM