Trans Fault

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

maryd2myrvr

Reaction score
Took the LR3 on its first off-roading event, dealership lead, but awesome none-the-less. At the beginning of the afternoon session we went through a lot of not very deep, but rocky water holes on the trail. After the water I started getting HDC Transmission Fault popping up on my screen which took me out of special programs mode and slammed me down to access height around 5 times :mad:. I have a call into my service manager, but was wondering if anyone on here has any advice or similar experiences. Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the LR3 on its first off-roading event, dealership lead, but awesome none-the-less. At the beginning of the afternoon session we went through a lot of not very deep, but rocky water holes on the trail. After the water I started getting HDC Transmission Fault popping up on my screen which took me out of special programs mode and slammed me down to access height around 5 times :mad:. I have a call into my service manager, but was wondering if anyone on here has any advice or similar experiences. Thanks in advance!

Yes, it sucks. I feel your pain on that one. I'm not a fan of the automatic access height restriction it gives you. I understand that LR is trying to cover their asses by protecting the owner from a rollover or other event, but they should switch this to "manual w/ disclaimer" control which defaults to access but allows full height selections. This happened to me 10 miles up a very soft sand beach. Made for a nerve racking trip back where I could feel the underside of the truck dragging and catching on sand the entire way.

In my case I think it was cleared by a couple power cycles. (shut the truck off) As is always the case, the problem ended up being some little sensor. These trucks are too fragile. Built tough, mind you, but they take too much functionality away from the driver when things go wrong that can only be fixed at the dealership. For an expedition vehicle, one of the design requirements should be perseverance. Report problems, but let us get out of the trail with minimal functional impact.

Oh, one more thing I just thought of. A lot of times I have gotten HDC error messages it is when the yellow HDC button is stuck in! This happens by either sand jamming it, spilled drink, or the wondering hands of a two year old. (or maybe all three)

maryd2myrvr

Reaction score
yeah thank god it only happened while we were moving on some pretty easy roads to the next trail. everytime I cycled off and on, the problem was cleared, but still agitating when I have to stop the whole crew to shut down and restart, perseverance would be nice!! I am taking the truck in tomorrow for them to check it out...thank god for warranties!! I will post the problem when I know what it is. Thanks for the advice!

maryd2myrvr

Reaction score
Had it in the shop yesterday. As I had suspected it was something stupid like the someone put the wrong voltage in a light bulb that threw the HCD trans fault!!! Bulb was replaced and problem fixed....at no cost to me (+1 for the dealership)!! Hope this is the final fix to the problem and I wont be posting anything like this again. Thanks for the help everybody, this forum is great!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nico3dd