Transmission dipstick or fill port?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt1t

Reaction score

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Step one:
replace pan and filter as described in that video. add new fluid.

still shifting hard?
drain and fill fluid, again.

still shifting hard?
replace solenoids and zip kit/valvbody internals <- be warned i did this myself, and it turned out to be a disaster. cost me nearly $3k to replace the valve body i ****** up.

Matt1t

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The video sure helps point out where things are. I was just up under it and now understand the skid plate needs to be removed as well a heat shield. Man, it shouldn't be this hard. All I want to do is check the fluid level.

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the transmission is bone dry with zero signs of external leakage, it is very unlikely to be low on fluid.

Firm shifts when cold is more likely related to the fluid due for replacement. Ignoring the "lifetime fill" silliness, the factory recommendation for severe service is 30kmi fluid change intervals. Since there is no drain on the torque converter, you have to drain and refill several times to get mostly-new fluid in... not fun.

How many miles are on your truck?

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also very important to actually follow the procedure and fill, then start it and warm the fluid and fill the rest while the engine is running... otherwise the level will not be correct. Watch out for the hot CAT that the fill plug is near.

Matt1t

Reaction score
@gsxr - I have 58k on it. You are not kidding about the CAT being right there. Everything looks nice and dry. This is supposed to be lifetime fluid? I recall on my last truck, no one wanted to touch a fluid change as my truck had over 100k on it. Everything was running fine, so I did it myself. As noted, it takes more fluid as you can never get all of the old fluid out, but drain/fill a few times did the trick. The problem with this setup, they sure make it hard to get too.

Matt1t

Reaction score
Just to close the loop on this thread. I myself don't feel comfortable doing the job. I took the LR4 to an independent shop up the road who only works on British vehicles. I left it over night so the mechanic could drive it cold and feel what I feel. The mechanic called me later that day and told me, he felt the hard shift on gears 3-4. He checked and rechecked for codes, ran diagnostics and looked for updates and nothing. He also reset the modules. The mechanic also said the transmission is a sealed transmission good for 150k and saw no signs of leaks. That was 2 Fridays ago and I needed my truck for the weekend so I went and picked it up. My plan was to drop it back off the following week to have him diagnose it a bit more. The following week I called back down and I spoke to the mechanic. He said there was nothing for him to go off of and recommended I take it to the dealer, since I did still have a 3rd party warranty on it. So, last Friday, that's what I did. 8am I was at the dealership and I let them have a go at it. The only issue was I couldn't drop it off the night before, so when I got there everything was nice and warm. The dealership ran all their diagnostics and checked out everything and gave it a clean bill of health. I did ask them to check the fluid level for me, but they said the transmission fluid needed to be between 75 and 80 degrees and it was currently at 145 degrees Fahrenheit. They said the truck would need to sit for 2-3 hours before they could check.... I didn't have the time to hang out all day for the fluid to cool down.

At this point, I just let the truck warm up for 5 min before heading out and everything is fine. I really don't know what else to do unless I go mucking around with it.

The first guy didn't charge me anything. The dealership charged me $70. In the 3 months I've had the LR4, I've taken trips to WV, FL and SC with no issues other than the hard shifting when cold. Once I get some time, I may try and peek inside the tranny to verify the fluid level.