LR4 transmission issue or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a work around for having to lift the engine and take off part of the exhuast.

Some people cut the filter neck with a hacksaw to get the stock plastic pan out and then replace it with an aluminum shallower pan and filter that I believe was fitted to some cars with the same trans. One of the threads I posted earlier had the part numbers and more detail on the install.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a work around for having to lift the engine and take off part of the exhuast.

Some people cut the filter neck with a hacksaw to get the stock plastic pan out and then replace it with an aluminum shallower pan and filter that I believe was fitted to some cars with the same trans. One of the threads I posted earlier had the part numbers and more detail on the install.

just had some deep dig on this Mercon SP

looks like need extract all out from converter before you want to switch from ZF 6 LG to Mercon SP

that's what recommended

BYW, can you share the workaround of lifting engine and taking off exhaust?

Thanks

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I finished filling up the trans with new Mercron SP. I used a transfer pump to pump new fluid in there until a steady drip started to come out. Then capped the fill plug and started the truck and shifted between PRD a few times and then let the pan heat up to 35-40*C and refilled the pan until a steady drip occured again.

Took it for a spin and I can already tell a huge difference in the smoothness of the shifts and there isn't any more hesitation between gears like before.

Last edited:

Christianmotox

Reaction score
Hey men, just wondering how your transmision is doing after the fluid change.

Also, did you had to lift the engine to get the pan out?

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey men, just wondering how your transmision is doing after the fluid change.

Also, did you had to lift the engine to get the pan out?

unfortunately, I have to jack up the transmission and transfer case after removing the two cross bars if I want to remove the filtran.

and I do not have enough tools and room to do it since I am living in condo area.

Finally, I gave it to an independent rover shop

after the fluid change, it is smoother, but I can still feel the shudder between the 1st and 2nd gear shift (up shift)

I request a transmission reprogramme, and it completely resolve this problem, but now in the low gear down shift, I can feel the gear change shudder occasionally.

my 2 cents, the tranny ECU programme is not that perfect for 6HP26x on LR4

max2105

Reaction score
BTW, as an owner of several Mercedes vehicles I've gone through countless hours of research about using "factory" transmission fluid or else your transmission will blow up. The majority of these factory fluids are nothing more than a good quality synthetic fluid. I've been using Valvoline Max Life ($4.50/qt when buying the 4 qt jug) on all my Mercedes trannies AND replaced the fluid on our 2012 LR4 twice (4 quarts each time) without any problems what so ever. The tranny shifts perfectly and it's as smooth as ever. The Valvoline application guide also recommends this fluid for the ZF transmissions. I will be using the same exact fluid for our 2013 Mini Countryman soon as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM