LR4 transmission issue or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2010 LR4 HSE, low low mileage, located in NE part of continent

cold start after extended parking (such as overnight)

for the first 10-15 min, when the car is in low speed

would feel non-smoothness between gear shift (I guess between 1st and 2nd)

after that single one time thing, never happening afterwards for that particular day (imagine the numerous situations of accelerating from the red light stops)

I know car is due to transmission oil change based the 30k interval rule recommended here

is this a transmission issue?

I googled, not much discussion found, but some ECU upgrade story came also,

I am not sure

Thanks for any input

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '10 LR4 has the same issues. I'm about to drain and refill the ATF and will let you know if that fixes the situation.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '10 LR4 has the same issues. I'm about to drain and refill the ATF and will let you know if that fixes the situation.

thanks

are you going to extract from converter also or just simple drop-pan?

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For some reason LR didn't put a normal dipstick for the trans on their SUVs, so from what I've read online you can either drop the pan (which includes unbolting part of the exhaust) and drain that way. Or you can unhook one of the trans lines that runs to the front external cooler and drain/refill that way.

I believe I'm going to unhook the line from the cooler and start the car and drain that way to pump most all of it out. Then refill using the other line.

It's hard to find any info related to the LR4 on this topic, but here's a few threads I've found on it...

http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=25048
http://www.**************/forum/topic55010-45.html
http://www.lrrforums.com/showthread.php?19147-Tranny-Overheating-Adding-a-Tranny-cooler

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

I decided to not pull the pan and replace the filter as it was too much work I wasn't willing to do. So my plan is to just drain and refill. I ended up pulling the trans pan drain plug to drain the ATF. I also took off the small metal skid plate that's held on by (2) 10mm bolts that sits directly below the front recovery hook. Once you take this off you can see the 2 transmission lines that go into the small square aluminum cooler. The trans lines can be disconnected right before the cooler by squeezing the plastic couplers and pulling out (very easy). Some people disconnect both of these lines and start the car and let the ATF drain out that way.

I cranked the car with the lines off for a few seconds after I had pulled the drain plug and didn't have any fluid come out, so now I need to refill the trans.

The fill plug is located on the passenger side rear of the transmission (above the trans pan and to the left of the pan drain plug). It's very similar to refilling the diffs or transfer case on these. Open the fill plug and get a transfer pump to pump in the new ATF. Once you get a small dribble coming out of the fill plug, start the truck and let it warm up. You will need a IR thermometer to measure the external trans pan temp. Once the pan reaches 40*C, shift the trans though the gears so the oil circulates through the servos and valves. Pump more oil in the fill hole until full and shut off vehicle and put plug back in trans.

Hope this helps, this is from me reading many threads and organizing in my own words.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update...

I decided to not pull the pan and replace the filter as it was too much work I wasn't willing to do. So my plan is to just drain and refill. I ended up pulling the trans pan drain plug to drain the ATF. I also took off the small metal skid plate that's held on by (2) 10mm bolts that sits directly below the front recovery hook. Once you take this off you can see the 2 transmission lines that go into the small square aluminum cooler. The trans lines can be disconnected right before the cooler by squeezing the plastic couplers and pulling out (very easy). Some people disconnect both of these lines and start the car and let the ATF drain out that way.

I cranked the car with the lines off for a few seconds after I had pulled the drain plug and didn't have any fluid come out, so now I need to refill the trans.

The fill plug is located on the passenger side rear of the transmission (above the trans pan and to the left of the pan drain plug). It's very similar to refilling the diffs or transfer case on these. Open the fill plug and get a transfer pump to pump in the new ATF. Once you get a small dribble coming out of the fill plug, start the truck and let it warm up. You will need a IR thermometer to measure the external trans pan temp. Once the pan reaches 40*C, shift the trans though the gears so the oil circulates through the servos and valves. Pump more oil in the fill hole until full and shut off vehicle and put plug back in trans.

Hope this helps, this is from me reading many threads and organizing in my own words.

Woo, thanks for the detailed instruction

by the way, can you update on the smoothness issue probably after tomorrow's ride?

many many thanks

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Woo, thanks for the detailed instruction

by the way, can you update on the smoothness issue probably after tomorrow's ride?

many many thanks

Yep I'll report back as soon as I refill and go for a drive.

BTW, I will probably do this procedure 2 or 3 times to try and get out most of the old fluid out. I decided to go with Mercron SP ATF which is under $8 a quart on Amazon.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep I'll report back as soon as I refill and go for a drive.

BTW, I will probably do this procedure 2 or 3 times to try and get out most of the old fluid out. I decided to go with Mercron SP ATF which is under $8 a quart on Amazon.

are you sure to go with this?

I am worried as I have not seen any substitute information for ZF 6 fluid

Bama4door

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a really good thread a while ago comparing similar oils and SP was one that was comparable. The same trans in our rovers is used in the expeditions and this is the same oil Ford recommends. If I find the thread I'll post it up.

jackkyxu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a really good thread a while ago comparing similar oils and SP was one that was comparable. The same trans in our rovers is used in the expeditions and this is the same oil Ford recommends. If I find the thread I'll post it up.

never mind, I do find a lot of discussion about this Mecron SP, most of which are from bimmer forum, LOL

since my LR4 had a lot of off-roading even with low low mileage, I am heavily considering to drop pan and replace the filtran

probably would go for my trusted independent auto shop since it definitely need the lift to work on this

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM