2016 LR4 Landmark SCV6 Engine Failure at 65k. WWYD?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

itsaguything

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before... I forgot where I saw the idea. Anyways, I use a whipper snipper line.
And I concur with all of you, this lack of a simple oil dip stick is ridiculous.

To the engineer that specified this: get with the program. Are you a car enthusiast??
To the LR quality assurance team: get with the program. Are you concerned about the reputation of your vehicles??

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will add that the electronic gauge is totally useless for another reason. It goes from the very bottom gauge (empty) to full over about 1 quart of oil but only at the very top of the volume. Its not linear. In other words, at 7.5 quarts it will indicate low, and at 8.5 quarts it will indicate full. A major pain to fill the oil if you don't start form empty because you have to go through this whole process on the gauges over and over while you add oil to not over fill. Empty, Empty, Empty, Empty, FULL. Also, if it is on the low side, one would think that an indicator light would pop on, but it doesnt. Check your gauges folks.
Agreed! the electronic gauge/oil level is useless as a 'warning' system. It's only usefulness is to check the oil level and 'top up the oil' which the manual says should be done weekly (I sure haven't been doing that, but will start). You're right, even though there are 8 marks on the scale, it seems to represent only about a quart.
Correct on the "indicator light". Unfortunately, where the system failed you is that when operating with only half of the required oil volume the 'low oil pressure' warning light (red oil can) definitely should have illuminated along with the message 'Engine Oil Pressure Low'...should be long before the level gets that low. The manual says to stop the engine asap. It's not triggered by the oil level sensor and the e-gauge ..there's an 'oil pressure switch' (sensor) that generates the warning and apparently failed. Also, none of that explains why at only 65K miles it was using/losing that much oil.

Given that, good luck with taking a run at JLR, as @Rover Range suggested...it's reasonable and worth a shot.

Last edited:

teleskier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The other problem on the lack of dipstick and electronic gauge is that you have no idea if you overfilled the oil; it doesn't go higher than full. Frothing the oil with the crank could **** the engine too. Again, a dipstick tells you about how much you went over.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does have an overfill warning. I have seen it :). Just needed to suction some out to get proper message.
Further- from the Manual, pg. 220: "If the oil level is below the required operating range, a message advising you of how much oil to add will be displayed (e.g. Add 1 Pint)".
I don't recall seeing that, but I've only added oil a couple of times between changes (perhaps shouldn't have).
The system is convenient but over complicated, and certainly far more prone to failure than a dipstick. It seems the 'dipsticks' at JLR may have ignored the KISS principle.

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Further- from the Manual, pg. 220: "If the oil level is below the required operating range, a message advising you of how much oil to add will be displayed (e.g. Add 1 Pint)".
I don't recall seeing that, but I've only added oil a couple of times between changes (perhaps shouldn't have).
The system is convenient but over complicated, and certainly far more prone to failure than a dipstick. It seems the 'dipsticks' at JLR may have ignored the KISS principle.
Not only doesnt it notify you, the car doesnt even notify for low coolant.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the body is in good condition and it rides and drives fine otherwise I'd get the reman engine and possibly crank up the boost. The only other option would be a V8 Defender and that is over my budget. Plus its unibody. I think your LR4 would perform better in a crash.

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not only doesnt it notify you, the car doesnt even notify for low coolant.
I did get a coolant warning while driving a bunch in the desert last summer. Amber triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle along with a message - "coolant level low" or "check coolant level"...don't recall exactly, but sure enough, it was...(there is a sensor).

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did get a coolant warning while driving a bunch in the desert last summer. Amber triangle with an exclamation mark in the middle along with a message - "coolant level low" or "check coolant level"...don't recall exactly, but sure enough, it was...(there is a sensor).
Lucky. I had no coolant left and no light or warning. But i didt have a cracked rear pipe!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72