Transmission Fault error before purchasing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cchal001

Reaction score
I have been looking at Range Rovers for a while now and I have found one I really like and test drove it: 2006 Range Rover Supercharged V8 with 60k miles on it.

The tag on the Range Rover is $19,488 (plus taxes, tags, etc.), but when talking with the sales manager, he let me know that they took it to a Land rover dealer and said the "differential module" needs to be replaced and that it's $3,000. He provided the paperwork from the dealer, too.

The error codes on the dash include:
transmission fault stop with care, ABS, park brake, brake, and one that I did not recognize (Triangle with an exclamation point and an arrow going around it).

After reading many of the posts on this forum, it looks like this is a common electrical issue with the brake light switch and/or battery. "Christmas Tree Effect".

The sales manager dropped the price of the Range Rover to $16,488 to accommodate for this fixing. (I drove it and it drove excellently, too).

My question is should I move forward with purchasing the vehicle, thinking it might be the brake light switch, and/or battery first? I would like to think the Land Rover dealer is right, but after reading a lot of the posts on here, it seems like the Land Rover dealer is one of the last places to go with these things. I know if I decide to move forward with purchasing the vehicle, just be ready to spend the $3000 to fix it, although I have found a reputable independent mechanic nearby.

Let me know!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Test drive it to the closest auto parts store and have them test the battery alternator and you will know if the battery is starting to go.

Brake light switch being bad will also cause the brake lights not to function correctly and the Cruise control to have issues.

cchal001

Reaction score
Thanks, Joey! So if I find the battery needs to be replaced when getting it tested, then that's probably the culprit of the transmission fault, etc.?

Just want to make a good decision. And finding out the battery is the cause could also enable me to save $3,000 on the cost, as well, since the sales manager dropped the price that much.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It would be a solid start. If the battery is good, then I would consider taking it to an independent rover shop for a check up. I would want to be sure since it could potentially cost you a small chunk of change.

cchal001

Reaction score
Replaced the Brake Light Switch

I replaced the brake light switch, as this is usually the first thing to check when these warning lights come on. This is what it looks like on the inside of the brake light switch. I'm guessing it means the switch was bad, due to the black residue? The lights are still on, though.

I went and got the battery tested and it was good, at 12.59V. What should I do next? I have after market tail lights, so maybe the bulbs are not Land Rover models and I should replace the bulbs to make sure they are the necessary ones?

I purchased the vehicle with these lights on the dash, but it runs fine.
View attachment 196890

Attachments

• Brake Light Switch.jpg
    Brake Light Switch.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
The black does look like it shorted out at some point... maybe get the system reset again and hope for the best.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
They will plug in with the Land Rover Computer and reset the error codes, sadly can't be done with a basic OBDII scanner, needs the Land Rover Specific (read expensive) computer.

cchal001

Reaction score
Went and got MD state inspection today and it passed. Shwoo! I did have them read and reset codes and a permanent one showed up:

0416-94: Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module.

thoughts?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Spoke to my favorite Land Rover Mechanic and he informed me "Sounds like someone got water into the console. Example: left sunroof open, spill drink or coffee. Need to take console out and clean or replace shifter and/or Dynamic Stability control."

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72