Transmission Head Snap/****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine still fixed as well. Only downside is that now it's a bit of a dog off of those rolling stops, unless I really step on it. But ANYTHING is better than that crazy transmission dropping clunk! I still think it's funny that they fixed it while not being aware that this was a common problem and not being able to replicate it during the road test. Sometimes even a blind squirrel gets a nut...
Glad to hear yours is running great Todd.

D

DonA

I've had the vehicle enhancement reflash done about 2 weeks ago now. Up until this morning it had been running very nicely.

I hate to say it but this morning I had a minor episode of this problem again. I was rolling to a stop for red light just about stopped it turned green and "clunk!" It was slight compared to some of the clunks I have experienced from this issue. Nevertheless I hope this was an isolated incident and not a return of the problem.

H

Houm_WA

This is all useful info; please keep us posted. I'd like even a day-to-day update since I'll be in for my 22.5K in about 2 weeks and invariably they'll want to do this re-flash. I don't want to do it if it makes the car a dog....so roverman, can you give some details on how the LR3 performs through the rest of the powerband? Has the throttle-response only been hurt during a rolling stop?

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah it's fine. The problem was always that the car couldn't decide whether to go into first or not, then at the last minute (slight delay after pressing the gas) it would drop down into first and clunk. It's preference now is to stay in second. I believe that if you step down a little harder that it drops into first without the clunk, as it would if you were going in second and jumped on it anyway. It behaves the same as it always did in all other situations. It's a no brainer to have it done...much much better.

D

dalexiou

When I took my car in a few weeks back, the service manager told me about the update. He said it wasn't complete yet because it works but the car is sluggish. He sadi it should all be fixed within a few months top where it won't snap nor be sluggish. Just passing along what I was told.

Dimitri

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW - I don't notice any sluggishness. I usually drive in SPORT mode which has it downshifting a little sooner anyway.

I agree with roverman, its a no-brainer. If you have the transmission **** downshift now and it bothers you, get the upgrade. we're all doing it. everyone's doing it. you'll like it. you'll see. move to stepford. its a lovely place.... :wink:

H

Houm_WA

Alright ! I'll succumb to the peer pressure !

I usually drive in Sport mode or command shift in places where I'd encounter Stop signs as well, so I'll probably go for it. Of course, in Command Shift this is a non-issue.

jager24

Reaction score
Just got mine back today after the upgrade. The service manager told me that the final fix for the "****" will not be out for a few months. They have to get it cleared by the EPA as it could change the MPG estimates. He didn't say that it would, just that it could and they need to verify. Mine seems to be fixed for now but I think it has more to do with the trans being reset.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jager24 said:
Just got mine back today after the upgrade. The service manager told me that the final fix for the "****" will not be out for a few months. They have to get it cleared by the EPA as it could change the MPG estimates. He didn't say that it would, just that it could and they need to verify. Mine seems to be fixed for now but I think it has more to do with the trans being reset.

so, did they say definitively if they put the new patch in your powertrain or not?

just curious as this sounds like a run-around.

well the EPA thing may be true, i'd also take note that all dealerships may not have the tools yet to do this upgrade. i did seem to be the first install for my dealership and it took them a while to figure it out (something like it was released as a patch but was not an official roll-out yet blah blah blah).

anyway, as you know dealerships will tell you anything to keep you from blaming them. when i had my rear diff replaced last year it took over a week and the SA kept telling me "its taking longer than expected, we don't do a lot of these, but everything is going fine." ...after the fact i found out that the first part they received was damaged, so my truck sat for a week waiting for the new part and they did my repair in one day when the part arrived. so...ask lot's of questions!

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The current Enhancements are designed to cure some issues, but the 2-1 downshift is not incorporated into it. The cure for that is still under review by ZF, as they tune and tailor the programming. A page back you can see where AZSTALZ and others had a prototype program put in with some issues. It is still under review, but it is being worked on. The final ETA is not available.

toddjb122, sorry to hear about your diff fiasco, but I'll tell you a pack of blind monkeys could pack stuff better than LR does. I wonder what it would have hurt for them to just tell you right off your diff arrived damaged? Anyway, hang in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo