Transmission Head Snap/****

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Dave. Seems like you are more closely tied in with LR than most of us.

Got to tell you, though. I'm pretty sure they did give me a powertrain fix that included the 2-1 downshift. It may be prototype, I guess lookup and see what "patch 7" is, which is what I have. They did get into details with me and say that it is new and still not listed as a release upgrade (or something like that) and they did have to jump through some hoops with the NA LR rep visiting them to figure out how to get it loaded. Apparently loading just the powertrain firmware was not part of the standard process. FWIW.

davez26

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not just an owner, I work with these things for a living.

You are correct about Patch 7. My bad. I don't keep after the service side of the fence as much as I could. Patch 7 contains software for the 2-1 downshift. The realease notes are from July, so it is still fairly new, but it sounds like it does the job. Looks like I better hunt it down and get it loaded.

Z

zdas04

I had the upgrade a few weeks ago and the **** happens less often, but it still happens. Also, the service before last got rid of the "Transmission Fault, traction reduced" fault. Since the last upgrade I get it every day. I start the car, get the fault (and it drives really squirilly) let it warm up a bit turn the car off and back on and the fault is gone. This seems to have been caused by the upgrade. I can either run it for 2-3 minutes and reboot or drive to my first stop and reboot depending on how much of a hurry I'm in. Small problem, but I don't know if the latest "fix" is bug free.

David

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had my first **** since the upgrade. Although I really tried to force it to do it, it was only about 1/2 as severe as it used to be. I never did have the transmission fault traction reduced problem and haven't since the patch. More often I'm noticing that overall the car is in fact a little reluctant to downshift in other gears. I find myself driving in sport mode way more often.

T

troubled

Head ****/ No power

05 HSE frustrated owner. Aside from the many annoying yet fixable LR3 problems, the most concerning one is the head **** issue. Although we experience this problem, we also have episodes of no power. It appears that the car is in the wrong gear off the line or on an incline. Only happens about 50% of the time. I have had it reprogrammed twice. The headjerk is minimized but the "stall" is worse. Dealer tells me that LR is aware of the problem but does not have a solution since the patch is not working.

The car has become a potential hazard when pulling out in traffic.

Does anyone else have this problem as well?

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
(reply to "troubled")
nope. works as i would expect now, just no unexpected downshift (head ****). if i need power, i can floor it and its still there.

H

Houm_WA

troubled, I know that this is not much of an answer, but you can also use Sport mode and if that doesn't work, Command Shift....at least until LR has an adequate solution. I've never really lacked for power in Command Shift.

X

xcursion

I agreed with Houm. In sports mode, it is actually quite responsive and pulls pretty hard, just hurts the fuel economy thou.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has to be that this software fix is the reason my V8 loaner felt so much slower than mine before the fix - because now mine feels the same way.
Sport mode definitely fixes the sluggishness. Although in either mode it is a far cry from being a 'hazard' pulling out into traffic. I can't recall it ever jerking in sport mode either.

Only 1 clunk since the fix...pretty good.

roverdawg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
zdas04 said:
I had the upgrade a few weeks ago and the **** happens less often, but it still happens. Also, the service before last got rid of the "Transmission Fault, traction reduced" fault. Since the last upgrade I get it every day. I start the car, get the fault (and it drives really squirilly) let it warm up a bit turn the car off and back on and the fault is gone. This seems to have been caused by the upgrade. I can either run it for 2-3 minutes and reboot or drive to my first stop and reboot depending on how much of a hurry I'm in. Small problem, but I don't know if the latest "fix" is bug free.

David

I got the same transmission fault message, about an hour ago. Had to pull over and reboot. Never saw it before the updates. But, I'm just happy that the suspension faults are gone!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo