Transmission Range Change Not Available

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Transmission Range Change Not Available - RESOLVED

Hello Rovers! My first post here.

Bought my first LR3 2005 SE and super excited about it. Love the vehicle and the drive except that "Transmission Range Change Not Available", "Special Programs Not Available" and such faults are hindering its true utility I bought it for. On startup I get three System Fault Errors below:

1. Transmission Range Change Not Available
2. System Fault Special Programs Not Available
3. Special Programs Off

After reading threads and learning a bit more, I went ahead and replaced the battery, bought a new Interstate MTP-49/H8. Problem persists. Also checked the passenger side fuse box (Fuse 24); it is good. Also the LOW RANGE doesn't light up either when I push it down.

Terrain Response Control Switch is not lighting up, does not even show the NORMAL drive LED - no indication of it being activated (Although it is by default). When I rotate the Terrain Response knob, it gives fault errors like "System Fault Terrain Range Not Available".

Suspension, Command Shift, HDC and just about everything else I can think of works except what I mentioned above.

I read somewhere but can't find it anymore that there was something under the driver seat that need to be replaced, like a relay or something? Usually corrodes and needs a fix/replacement. Also something about snap opening Terrain Knob area for something? Anyone know of it? That's about the last thing that I haven't been able to check or see. Want to resolve it before I take it to a shop for big dollar fix - hopefully not.

If this has been answered before, please point me to it. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Turns out I had bought extended warranty on the car (duh!) and the dealership that sold the car to me will take care of it. Regardless I will share the findings and fix for the rest who have similar problems. Going to shop tomorrow morning.

Last edited:

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on that, and where do you drive it? What is the condition of the underside, is there rust from salt, and so on?

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many miles on that, and where do you drive it? What is the condition of the underside, is there rust from salt, and so on?

64K on it. I just bought it last week. Underside is very clean. Previous owner drove it in city only. Its almost immaculate if you ask me. No rust etc. either.

I bought this for off-roading and other outdoors activities (mostly weekend/vacation use) as my other cars are not good for that. So that's why I was bummed to see the Terrain Response not operating. Going to shop tomorrow for diagnosis and fix.

Last edited:

gundealeronline

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my 06RR Sport. Ended up being the Transmission ECU cost of about $600 at the local Land rover Dealer

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take it to a dealer and get it checked out. There are so many things that could cause those faults to occur from the simple like a bad battery or brake light switch to the slightly more expensive like a bad transfer case control unit to the very expensive like a bad locking rear differential ( if you have that option) or transfer case locking mechanism.

My '05 HSE with 93,000 miles needed all that. In the end, it was a nearly $6,000 repair bill but that was after three months of my time spent dicking around trying to fix it myself. The dealers are expensive but they have never failed to fix something the first time, unlike my own efforts.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had to move my appointment to Monday (tomorrow) due to schedule conflict. Will definitely report back with diagnosis and fix.

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: As of now the local Land Rover experts ran codes (I haven't seen them) and mentioned that there is a problem with the actuator that triggers the Terrain Response System. They didn't mention blackened stoplight sensor or ECU problem so far - stuff that I expected to be the culprits.

At the moment they have contacted the warranty providers to get the authorization for work that needs to be done on the car.

I will request a copy of the codes, repair work and results once all is said and done.

Last edited:

GeoRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As of today the car has been in shop for 10 days. The Indy Experts are onto the second part and running codes. Not sure what could be so hard to figure and fix that damn thing by now? Anyway thats the update so far.

Quick facts:
Days car owned: 35
Days car in shop: 12
Days car in my posession: 23 (65% of the time owned)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo