Transmission slip?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried searching and just could not find anything.....My 2015 LR4 HSE Lux with about 58k has been, once in awhile, having problems when I put it in D. The dial D just blinks and LR4 won’t move. It’s been a simple fix by putting it back in Park and then Drive again and has always been fine afterwards but I’d say it happens once every month or two maybe? Have not had any service done to the transmission btw.

Should I be worried? Thanks

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not a transmission issue, it's an issue with the shifter cable link that runs under the car. it gets rusted and sticks. Sometimes when putting it into D it blinks or doesn't like up at all. Eventually you won't get it out of park lol. Mine threw a gearbox fault code when it got to the point where i couldn't get it out of drive. Go under the truck and spray some lube on it and adjust it around. You'll figure out how it works once you get under there. Have a trusted person go in the truck when its on* but NOT started. Then go under and let that person change gears. Added security would be to put a jack or something under it in case the truck self levels with you under there and crushes your rib cage. I replaced mine since my cable was so rusted. Changing the cable is on another thread on this forum somewhere.

do your T fluid and filter around 75k btw or right now if you drive it rough.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does this include a 2015? I’m having trouble finding any threads on a newer LR4 and/or changing out the shifter cable link.....got a link? Lol

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do 2014+ even have a cable? I thought the 8hp trans was all electronic from the dial selector to the trans itself.

In your case, I'd also check the brake switch(under the pedal) or maybe the rotary shifter itself. Sorry, not too familiar with the newer rotary dial shifters.

Balto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No worries. Soooo back to maybe transmission issues? Maybe the all electric **** shifter?

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My first thought would be transmission fluid level. If it gets low, the mechatronic control unit in the transmission doesn’t function correctly.

There were two issues with transmission fluid leaks that I’m aware of: one with the transmission oil cooler lines towards the front of the engine - there’s a bracket that can start to wear through the lines - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2017/MC-10116124-9999.pdf; the other has to do with some bad castings that created porosity in the rear of the transmission where it meets the transfer case - https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/SB-10106335-9340.pdf

I would think a leak someplace would be evident, but maybe a very small leak over a long time would escape notice.

There also was a software issue that created a similar shifting issue, but had to do with ECO stopping and the car falling out of gear: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2015/MC-10105731-9340.pdf. Might be other software issues like this as well - not sure. Maybe search the TSBs for your model year.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or maybe part of the "electric shifter motor" if thats what its called in 2015 models. I would do a research on how electronic shifter works. Physically it still needs to do what a traditional shifter does. Instead of using manpower, it does it electronically for you so you could turn a dial effortlessly in comfort vs jerking on a 1 ton shifter up and down all day.....that was sarcasm btw...that electric shifter business is crap. Anyways, whatever part that gives you that "electronic help" may be the issue. Run an expensive scanner or land rover specific scanner and get all the codes for the truck. You need BCM codes, not the generic check P* check engine light codes a cheaper scanner would give you. Clear and reset the BCM codes.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99