Traxide/Battery Light Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update Test Results:
(Traxide) disconnected, LED Solid, engine off: crank - 12.57 V , aux - 12.50 V

connected, LED Solid, engine off: crank - 12.53 V , aux - 12.53 V , hidden LCD diag - 12.0 V

connected, LED solid, engine on 2 min: crank - 13.70 V , aux - 13.68 V , hidden LCD diag - 13 V

disconnected, key turned: crank - 12.20 V , hidden LCD diag - 11.5

disconnected, engine on: crank - 13.70 V , hidden LCD diag -10.5

So I believe this would indicate my traxide unit is working just fine. Ove the course of the last few days i have gotten a good amount of driving in. The battery indicator would turn on and off (occasionally), but would always return and was on for the larger majority of the time. I also noticed some of the strange burning smells indicating it could be the alternator.

Before i bite the bullet and just buy the replacement part wondering if anyone has input regarding these:
1. dealership will diagnose problem for $130, including if there is a short anywhere (which i would imagine would be miserable to track down?)
2. fan removal - anyone have pics of this process? seems to be the biggest obstacle in getting to the alternator
3. british parts of utah was where i was looking online for the alternator, any better sources?
4. finally, driving with the problem - what happens if the alternator just straight up fails while im driving?

thanks again for your input drivesafe, glad the unit has been cleared as a possible source of the issue.

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you may have seen, I ended up replacing my alternator. The read out on the secret little dash screen has been pretty consistent at 13.5 V with the engine running. I have not hooked the traxide unit back up yet though. Wanted to make sure the new alternator actually solved the problem first.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635