trouble filling up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B

blackberg

Hi all,
Just picked up a 1998 discovery,

was at the gas station and I was not able to add gas.

It was almost on empty, light was on, but when I was filling up, the
pump will stop like it was full and I was topping off. it seemed air was coming out of the fill hole, I had to add about 1/4 to 1/3 gallon, stop and
try again, was able to get 3 gallons in before I gave up, enough to
continue my trip

it wasnt full, because the light was off when I was done, and the gauge was up

any ideas???

many thanks

healey1006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a guess, but you might want to try getting gas at another station. It could be that the vapor recovery system on the pump wasn't working causing a pressure buildup in your tank.

B

blackberg

I tried on 2 different pumps,

after I switched pump, someone got to thepump I was usin g and he had no trouble

my bad luck???

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Your vent line is clogged coming from the tank.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Shouldn't be hard, if you look under the fender by the rear tire you should see the main gas line, and also a vent tube... I would make sure the main line is not kinked, then I would replace the smaller line. Just make sure you are not smoking or near a fire when changing this.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try rotating the pump nozzel 90 degrees ... that sometimes helps with certain stations equipment. I have run into this in the past with a few Sunoco & Shell stations with older pumps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM