Truly "Happy" Disco owners- let me know if you exist!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

damnskippy

Reaction score
I need to hear some good, positive, happy Disco owner stories- assuming they exist!

Saw a local Jackson Hole car dealer yesterday, seems like everyone in the valley has a vehicle from him except me. He must be doing pretty well, he is retiring in another month or 2 at age 53 after being in used car business for 20 years. I went to his lot to look at an Xterra he had advertised but it had just been sold and was gone. I saw he had a '04Touareg on the lot which looked nice but I don't know anything about them, and they may be prone to problems of their own...he didn't aim me towards it.

I told him what I really wanted was an '04 Disco and he literally said I was nuts, he says he sees them at dealer auctions all the time for about $8000.00 (so that should give me a clue to how they hold their resale value he said) and he hasn't bought them because they are are so untrustworthy for his customers.

The truth is ever since I've seen one, I've always wanted one and I normally am a very conservative person with my money- I don't go buying lot's of stuff I want- the Disco would be the exception to this pattern.

I told him I realize some Discos can be prone to trouble and that I was trying to do all the research I can before I buy one and he was just like "well, you are throwning your money away". Now it was interesting, he was not trying to steer me towards anything else on his lot...he was just like, "well sounds like your mind is made up and that's too bad". He said Discos were "squirrley" 4 x 4's in the snow at best (I found that hard to believe) and just went on and on how bad they were. He talked about one he had years ago where the ABS breaks went out while it was being trailored (?) costing him $4000.00 to fix.

I explained the fact I was trying to educate myself the best I could before my purchase, reading these forums, talking with other owners, talking with local mechanics, planning to get the RAVE CD and try to do all the fluid checks and basics the best I could myself. I told him as far as buying one, I was going to find one with less than 50 K still under original factory warranty and then get an extended warranty ("make sure you get roadside assistance with that, you'll need it!!" he said), run a CARFAX, etc. I said I will be looking for an '04 that has an up to date service record that has hopefully had one owner and most all required work done at a Land Rover dealer. I told him I was planning to keep my '94 Toyota 4x4 truck as a back up. Again, he just said I was crazy but didn't try to sell me on anything he had there in lot...there were other people there looking to buy so I just got in my toyota and left... he waved bye to me and said "you'll be sorry, big mistake"!

I came back here and started reading these forums again, you know you gotta read the good with the bad...I was reading more about Powerchip that Joey spoke about and also reading more about "the 3 amigos", I thought I would print some of that information out and take it to my local trusty LR mechanic, some of the stuff Chongo had posted, etc. If those reading my posts for first time, there are some really high, mountain passes around here I have to drive over to get to either Idaho or other parts of Wyoming.

I want the '04 Discovery to be my primary everyday vehicle, use it to drive clients around if necessary (am an interior designer), want to drive my crated dog (he is used to jumping around in current Toyota but in the Disco it'll be crate travel only) around in it to some cool trails, take long drives in Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks, 4x4 it to get to some great camping spots and being here in Jackson Hole, I'm in 4X4 about 5 months out of 12 anyway because of snow, oh and maybe pull a small camper or boat.

Am I just being an idiot to get a Discovery? Even with the best precautions I am trying to take? I know there are no guarentees with any used car but I'm attempting to do the best I can...Is this all a waste of my time? Are the odds truly against me and am I fooling myself? Again, I am a complete novice but want to learn whatever I can to make the Disco happy and trying to get one with the best prior record of ownership and service I can find. Unfortunately I don't have a husband or best friend that's a mechanic. As I've stated in previous posts, closest LR dealership is 4+ hours away.

And if not a Discovery, than what? It will have to be some other brand, I can't afford an
LR2 or LR3.

If you've been bitten by the newer model '03 or '04 "Disco Fever", made the jump and been extremely happy, please let me know about it and any secrets or tips you have.

Thanks again all! A.J.

Last edited:

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A couple of my previous posts on the Touareg (we owned one before our LR3):

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showpost.php?p=59710&postcount=4

Given, most of that is comparing it to the LR3, but it should provide some background.

So I'll throw out my thoughts (the LR3 was our first LR, so I don't have a lot of experience with Disco2s, but I do have a lot of experience with European cars) - in general, you are safe going with the last year of a model. If you are going to buy the first year of a model, you want to either buy a late model year build, or prepare yourself for problems. I personally believe that is the case with any car (regardless of where it is made), but is even more accurate with European cars. So you might ask him what year of Disco2 his experience was with. Secondly, a lot of it depends on miles - the more miles, the more likely something is going to go wrong. So your plan to buy under 50k with the original warranty still intact is a good one.

In my opinion, if you can get him to buy exactly what you want at auction for $8K with a transfer cost to you at less than $10K (basically a '04 Disco with less than 50k miles for less than $10K) you will be getting a STEAL. I would absolutely do that in a heartbeat - with zero reservations.

Good luck.
Rich

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
It sounds like he is clueless first of all... since ABS issues on an older disco cost almost nothing to fix... on a Disco II that is a different case, but most issues were ironed out prior to the 03/04 Model Years.

Getting an 04 D2 would be excellent for what you are looking for. My D1 has been almost trouble free for the 5 years I have had it... Don't get me wrong I have had some minor issues, but nothing yet that has left me stranded. As with any vehicle on the road they can all have issues, some are more issues then others.

If you want to learn even more about discos, I would suggest contacting Bill Burke http://www.bb4wa.com/

He will not only be able to teach you how to drive your Disco, but how to do basic repairs out in the field... his web site also has tons of good info.

damnskippy

Reaction score
I don't think I could approach that local car dealer about looking for a Discovery for me, not after he said such bad things about them and the fact that he's retiring. Maybe somebody will be buying his business and would be willing to

basstard440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 disco and I love it. I have had no major issues with it. I also own some other stuff, 76 jimmy with lockers, 38 in tires, 11in over all lift, 95 jeep yj 4" lift locked with 33 in tires. 2005 f250 4x4 off road stock. Guess what I wheel with mostly yup the disco. My wheelin buddy has an xterra and constantly slows the line down with trail damage and he can't make the next trip due to a cracked head. My next truck will be another disco but I will keep that one stock. The jimmy is going to get turned into a buggy, the jeep is going to get sold and the f250 is going to be the next work truck and when I can afford it this disco is going diesel. I got your jeep thing, now it burns when I ***! Joe

Mark

Reaction score
I have had my 1998 Disco I for nearly four years now and with some minor maintenance, the vehicle has driven well. I even did 250 miles with an errant VSS.

I have changed the PS pump, VSS, a couple of window arms, packed swivel balls with Rover Grease, changed all of the pumpkins with fresh 80W oil, spark plugs, changed radiator fluid, and a new battery and new tires. Also fixed the leak (sorta) from the either the Sunroof or the Windscreen seal. Replaced the O2 sensors (wow, check out my Post on that).

Nearly all of the repairs I did myself.

What is there NOT to love about a Disco.

I agree with your choice for the 04 DII and enjoy yourself!!!! I am looking for an 04 also.

tempestv8

Reaction score
I think that for every 1 happy Disco owner, unfortunately there are probably about 5 others who are a bit lukewarm about their vehicles and 2 who have had absolute lemons.

Seems like that, from my 8 years of experience with Land Rover Discovery Series II.

Mine slipped a cylinder liner without overheating and I had to replace the entire engine block because of the resultant massive coolant leak. :help:

I've spent nearly the market value of the vehicle itself on a new engine. I guess it could be worse, but this is the sort of thing that can happen, as I've got first hand experience of it.

On the flip side, this vehicle has been tremendous fun for me and I will find it hard to replace the vehicle with another one that is this tough and capable.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I think that for every 1 happy Disco owner, unfortunately there are probably about 5 others who are a bit lukewarm about their vehicles and 2 who have had absolute lemons.

Not sure I would state it this way... if this was the case the company would not be in business at all.

Keep in mind that 90% of the things you read or hear on the web concerning any vehicle, not just Rovers will be the bad things. There are not to many thread stating "I just rolled 200k miles on my xxxxx and all I have ever done is change the oil and plugs"

Shoot, my 92 Buick Roadmaster is a wonderful vehicle and it has 238k miles, but I have changed the fuel pump, radiator, rebuilt the transmission and now it needs a new one, just spend $500 (not able to work on it myself in a hotel parking lot) due to a temp sensor causing it to flood the engine with fuel and cook the CAT. By the sound of the engine I need to either start thinking of a rebuild or at least a complete go over of the top end.

Again I may be the exception to the rule with my 97 Disco, but I do know a lot of people that drive theirs daily without issues.

Just my .04 cents worth, since I have already commented.

damnskippy

Reaction score
Maybe tempestv8 makes a good point...I welcome all points of view to my questions here. I was hoping maybe that tempest could expound further on why so many lukewarm about their decisions to own a Discovery. Thank you

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't mean he didn't make a valid point, I just do not want any one to get the idea that every rover driving down the road is having major issues.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM