Twice offroad once in the shop

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zendestroyer

Reaction score
Hello all I am new to the forums and new to Land Rover Ownership I recently purchesed a 2006 LR3 HSE in bonatti grey and all the options (or so i think) the truck came with a roof rack, bumper guard, side steps, and 18in nitto terra grapplers on older disco II wheels. So far i love this truck it feels like the most capable truck i have ever driven, it is comfortable and fun to drive all my friends that ride in it that scoffed when i first bought it are now just as impressed as i am. Now for the bad, I live near Land between the Lakes state park in KY and TN and they have an offroad park called Turkey Bay. I just got back from my second trip up there on the 4th of july and the truck performed amazingly nothing stopped it even somethings that other guys in "more capable" trucks wouldnt attempt all while the a/c was on and my kids we watching a DVD. To wrap up the story as i attempted to leave the park i got a strange light on the dash first it was the battery light and the a suspension fault light and the list goes on and on needless to say the truck stopped running along side the road now this is about 40 miles from home and even 100 miles from the closest dealership. I call Land Rover road side assistance they say no problem and ask how many miles are on the truck i tell them 50200 they say it is out of factory warranty i say i got an extended warranty they look it up and say ok, they say the truck has to go to nashville cuz that is the closest dealer i say whatever you want it is the 4th of july, all in all the service was very good they made all the calls and got the tow truck there even if it took an hour or so. The truck was acting like it was running off the battery alone and then when that was dead it stopped, it did see some deep water but it was not submerged for a long time the water mostly ran over the hood and off as the trucked cleared the hole, is this a common problem with these trucks i mean come on it is supposed to have 27in of fording depth, i crawled under it a little and saw the alternator is near the bottom of the motor but it is blocked by the skid plate and all that stuff down there. has any one had to replace and alternator on one of these, also how bad is the dealer gonna complain cuz it is covered in mud and that is if any of you have delt with land rover of nashville. thanks for any help you all may have

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Considering your tires are 30" tall, I would say that water over your hood was significantly more than 27" deep. Or you went too fast through it. Hope it's not too expensive for ya...
How'd ya get D2 wheels on an LR3 anyway? That's not supposed to work.
p.s. They'll probably figure it out anyway, but I wouldn't tell the dealer about the "water over the hood" part.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have RRS wheels in the 18" style they look like disco 2 rims. I would guess.

dry_fly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
did the LR3 literally stop working or did you have the dash light up with all kinds of faults like trans, engine, suspension, parking brake, hdc, special systems etc. and you didn't drive it in limp home mode?

zendestroyer

Reaction score
the truth is i dont know what kind of wheels are on it but they look like disco 2s, and yea i was going a bit fast but you live you learn i guess. the dealer called me this morning and said it will be about $650 for a new alternator but that the battery was still good also that i will need new brakes as in pads and that will also run me about 650 for parts and labor. is this price in the ballpark that you all have seen of should i go with finding and independent service place

nashvegas

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was this the cool grey one from nashville motorsports?

was this by any chance that truck from a place called nashville motorsports? .. with the range rover sport 19" wheels? very cool truck. i looked at it too in may/june here in nashville.

the nashville dealer is great -- they are not cheap -- but make friends with them... they believe that the trucks were made to wheel and dont give you **** for doing it with your truck

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the truth is i dont know what kind of wheels are on it but they look like disco 2s, and yea i was going a bit fast but you live you learn i guess. the dealer called me this morning and said it will be about $650 for a new alternator but that the battery was still good also that i will need new brakes as in pads and that will also run me about 650 for parts and labor. is this price in the ballpark that you all have seen of should i go with finding and independent service place

Your best bet IMHO would be to buy brakes direct from stealer, then either do them
yourself or take them to a mechanic you trust to save some labor costs. Might save
you a couple hundred.

blownf150

Reaction score
I would be suprised if LRN said anything about it being dirty. They have a ride once a month from the dealership. I drive two hrs just to go to them insted of local dealer. Simply because of the service and they will try to cover their warranty insted of not.
If you want to go back to turkey bay somtime let me know we have been wanting to go.
And if you want to head towards Chattanooga sometime there is some riding down here.
I can get several trucks to ride about anytime.

Rix92x

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same this just happened to my LR3

Hello all I am new to the forums and new to Land Rover Ownership I recently purchesed a 2006 LR3 HSE in bonatti grey and all the options (or so i think) the truck came with a roof rack, bumper guard, side steps, and 18in nitto terra grapplers on older disco II wheels. So far i love this truck it feels like the most capable truck i have ever driven, it is comfortable and fun to drive all my friends that ride in it that scoffed when i first bought it are now just as impressed as i am. Now for the bad, I live near Land between the Lakes state park in KY and TN and they have an offroad park called Turkey Bay. I just got back from my second trip up there on the 4th of july and the truck performed amazingly nothing stopped it even somethings that other guys in "more capable" trucks wouldnt attempt all while the a/c was on and my kids we watching a DVD. To wrap up the story as i attempted to leave the park i got a strange light on the dash first it was the battery light and the a suspension fault light and the list goes on and on needless to say the truck stopped running along side the road now this is about 40 miles from home and even 100 miles from the closest dealership. I call Land Rover road side assistance they say no problem and ask how many miles are on the truck i tell them 50200 they say it is out of factory warranty i say i got an extended warranty they look it up and say ok, they say the truck has to go to nashville cuz that is the closest dealer i say whatever you want it is the 4th of july, all in all the service was very good they made all the calls and got the tow truck there even if it took an hour or so. The truck was acting like it was running off the battery alone and then when that was dead it stopped, it did see some deep water but it was not submerged for a long time the water mostly ran over the hood and off as the trucked cleared the hole, is this a common problem with these trucks i mean come on it is supposed to have 27in of fording depth, i crawled under it a little and saw the alternator is near the bottom of the motor but it is blocked by the skid plate and all that stuff down there. has any one had to replace and alternator on one of these, also how bad is the dealer gonna complain cuz it is covered in mud and that is if any of you have delt with land rover of nashville. thanks for any help you all may have

Sounds like the exact same thing just happened to my truck. But I was wheeling last week and 400 miles ago....
What was the overall result for you? New alternator and what else? Did it solve all the problems? Did they give you any greif for the dirty truck...I washed the body of mine but the engine bay and front radiator are still a mess. We will see tomorrow I guess.

CoMclovin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never had a dealer give me grief for a dirty truck. That's what LR's are made for, and the dealer shouldn't give you any issues with mud, or such on the truck, or underneath it. You should however, clean your rig ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM