Unstoppable LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

H

Houm_WA

I just completed (I mean like 3 hours ago) the LR Experience Driving School in Carmel, CA. It is run out of the Quail Lodge.

So, I don't want to just GUSH about the LR3 but it's hard not to. I never really imagined traversing the terrain that I did today. Conditions were not too bad in terms of grip as it was dry. The ground was moist but not wet. The trail had many areas of loose terrain. The most impressive thing was the LR3's ability to navigate uneven terrain. At times wheels would come off the ground and you really couldn't tell, that's how smooth it is. Here are highlights:

1. The "Bathtub" - This was basically a part of the trail that went down steeply, flattened out and came back up....it was basically shaped like a giant bathtub, as the name indicates. Going straitht into it would cause a bottoming out, so you had to take it on an angle. As you approach, the front driver's side wheel leaves the ground, and as your proceed, you teeter-totter onto that suspended wheel and your back passenger side wheel leaves the ground. It's quite a feeling.

2. The Sideslope- very similar to the tub, but you are just driving along on the trail and the sideslope gets so bad that your back passenger side tire leaves the ground (and I mean it's up there) and the ground is just outside your window. I seriously thought I was going to flip...especially when we hit some mud and started sliding. Of the whole day, this was the point that got my heart pumping.

3. The downhills - it is strange to just let go of the brake to go downhill, but that's what ya do (once you can see the bottom). HDC kicks ass. I went down some extremely steep hills, and they were rendered easy by the LR3.

4. The uphills - This was insane. I never could've imagined what this SUV could climb. Jesus....it just gobbles that **** up. One hill I had to HDC down in reverse and take another shot at, this time getting more momentum and jarring my steering wheel left to right as I proceeded. But the hill was amazing and the LR3 was even moreso. The second hill I had to hit this big ol' tree root really hard to clear it without losing momentum. The LR3 just went.

Overall, this was a tremendous experience. I will not forget it and now I have a feel for what this vehicle can REALLY do. I thought I fell in love with it after my last camping trip, but what I did was nothing compared to this. I took pictures, and will try to scan 'n post.

...who cares about all the silly faults, this thing is unstoppable. The LR3 rules.

M

Michael

This sounds like a lot of fun! It is amazing they didn't "candy coat" this, with simple off-road maneuvers. It looks like they knew exactly what the limits of the vehicle were, and put you right there at them. Thanks for sharing this.

Michael

H

Houm_WA

I plan on getting them developed today (I used a disposable camera). I will try to then scan them in and post them. This could take a while, but I'll commit to getting it done. I'll hope to get it done in a few days. I don't have a scanner so I'll have to do that on my lunch hour at work.

JohnKel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
nwoods said:
Pictures pictures pictures!
I'll second that, and put in an early request for pictures of your upcomming Joshua Tree trip :biggrin:

Cheers
John green with envy

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just have them developed direct to CD-ROM. It only adds a couple of dollars to the cost. Do it two or three times, and you have the price of a inexpensive but decent digicam, like a Canon A75....

I will definately have too many photos of JT on my website...as long as my camera doesn't melt in the desert heat :)

I went up to Main Divide (Cleveland National Forest) yesterday. I haven't crunched the photos yet, but here are a few:

IMG_5519.gif

IMG_5555.gif

IMG_5565.gif

IMG_5599.gif

H

Houm_WA

They wouldn't do CD...but I have prints. I'll scan them, no big deal. Give me a few days!

H

Houm_WA

*** !?!?

Ok, so I scanned the pics from the Exp. thing...and I can't seem to make the files small enough to be uploaded as an attachment on this forum. The filesize limit is very small.

Is there a preferred process or one that works best? Maybe some way to cut 'n paste the image itself and not attach the file....?

Please advise. Thanks.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a simple process really, just spend a few hundred dollars on a program like PhotoShop, then another hundred or so on a web host, then crank down your photos (web optimize them) and FTP them up to your web server, then link to them here, and presto!

Or, upload them to Flickr.com or SmugMug.com, or PBase.com or similar photo sharing service. That's usually a lot easier, though the results won't be as good.

JonKel, my photos of the recent Main Divide trip are posted now:
http://blog.nextstepdesigns.com/?p=17

Joshua Tree photos will be up next week when I get back.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635