Upcoming Brake Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jpperry

Hello all, I have a basic question for you. I was just told by the dealer that I will need to do pads and rotors on all 4 pretty soon, they quoted me $1100 to do this but I have done brakes before and figured I would save myself some coin and do it myself. My question is if there is anything special I need to do about the ABS or traction control? Usually I just remove the calipers without opening the brake line, remove pads, squeeze the calipers open and put in the new pads and then change the rotors. Usually I open up the brake fluid resevoir to allow the fluid level to alter without forcing air around, is there anything special I am missing?

Thanks.

Joe

L

LisaB

That's all there is to it. You may need to drill out the phillips head retaining screws on the rotors, and coax them off the hubs, where they are probably stuck from rust. a turkey baster will suck out any excess fluid from the reservoir so it won't overflow when you push in the caliper pistons. I went with new rotors because I didn't have time to machine my old ones, but I've heard there isn't enough material on them for resurfacing anyway.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Make sure you have brake cleaner to clean the crud off everything.

A good tip is to take a Ball Pen hammer and place the rounded end on the philips screw and give it a good few whacks with another hammer. Screws will come out easily. If no ... WD-40 or other penetrating oil on the screw ... wait a bit ... and then whack it again.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
Joe where are you going to get your parts as i need to do mine as well? Anyone know of any places other then the rover dealer?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you who the OEM supplier is... not to be a pain, but OEM isn't the best anyways, nor the least expensive.

Saving money = buy what you can afford
Have lots of moeny = Buy the good stuff.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
thanks anyways Joey, so has anyone used the Mintex pads, are they any good?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I run the EBC Kevlars on my Disco.... The only issue I have found is when the are cold try to avoid backing down a hill (they tend not to grip well in reverse when cold). The wear very well, and it works wonders here in the Hills of WV where I am on the brakes alot in turns.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM