Upcoming Brake Job

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F

fbrems

Hey All.... Well it sounds probably a bit unusual, but I relined my 4 brake rotors without taking them off. (Depend how much they are damaged) Jack up one wheel, remove de wheel and block the others to avoid motion. Then start the engine in Drive and let spin the lifted wheel. I use a disc for metal (which you fit on a grinding machine) and start grinding the rotor with "coarse" first. Believe me the rotors get polished smooth as new and finally you finish with "fine grade" It does not take long to reach an even surface, job done and next one to follow. Not everything has to be by the book or dealers advise.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting seeing how the Disco's rotors are not rated for being turned.... You may want to concider replacing them.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
how will you know if you need to replace the calipers, or just pads and rotors?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Normally unless they are sticking you do not need to replace calipers... just replaced first set on my 1992 Buick Roadmaster, they were sticking at 206,000 miles.

Rover at 126,000 still original rotors.

Muddyone

Land Rover Sales Consultant
Reaction score
my rears are making a grinding noise when i go on the brakes, sometimes it grinds for a little after i come off the bakes aswell. They seem to be scrating up the discs for some reason?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First thing I would do would be to disassyble and check them out...

Have you changed your brakes lately? (should be inspected at least every 15k)
Have you flushed the brake fluid lately? (should be done once a year)

Could be a bad Caliper, but hard to tell without taking things apart to check.

A

agarabaghi

About how many miles would you say it takes in order for a land rover to require new discs and pads. My 04 has 16,000 miles and the dealer is saying im down to 10% in the front. Upon visual inspection they seem fine, and the discs show no sign of the lip along the edge which usually indicates that they are worn down. It might be time for new pads though, even though the brakes seem to work fine with no signs of grinding or wierd pedal movements.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Rotors, (disks) usually last at least 3 or more pad changes depending on how bad the pads get or if they get warped.

Pads will depend alot on driving style and if city or highway use. Lots of hard stops, or stop and go traffic will **** rover pads due to the size and weight of the vehicle.

When I say size and weight, please keep in mind that so far I haven't seen a rover (haven't looked and 05 and newer stuff) that has enough brakes for the size of the vehicle.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CDN $$$ $720 Fronts & $740 Rears ........ at the stealers .....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM