Urban Offroad Racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You almost can't tell you even have a rack on it. It doesn't have the high side rails. Interesting.

Nice color!

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You almost can't tell you even have a rack on it. It doesn't have the high side rails. Interesting.

Nice color!

Thanks! That was by design on my part. So I can get into parking garages and not worry about it. :smile:

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Nice color!
I like the color too! ;-) Every time I see a Fuji White LR4 it makes me happy I ordered that color.

Derek at Urban Offroad seems to really be open to customizing the racks to your needs.

I want him to do a few modifications to his full-length rack - for example, I want my jerry can holder welded on, etc. I also want some permanent shovel/axe and hi lift jack mounts.

-David

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That was by design on my part. So I can get into parking garages and not worry about it. :smile:
I am pretty used to never being able to go into a garage! :) Especially since I have my two large Pelican boxes on the roof.

-David

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Very nice, i wander how much did they charge you for such a downscaled roof rack. This actually interests me a lot .i don't see a need for a raised sides , since flat roof rack opens up so much more possibilities. Although, I have short tracks, I would extend a front a little bit further, unless , off course , longer front would not clear a moveable sun roof,well at least two or three inches more..

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice, i wander how much did they charge you for such a downscaled roof rack. This actually interests me a lot .i don't see a need for a raised sides , since flat roof rack opens up so much more possibilities. Although, I have short tracks, I would extend a front a little bit further, unless , off course , longer front would not clear a moveable sun roof,well at least two or three inches more..

I'd give Derek a call, I think it is was in the neighborhood of $500 but that was 6 months or so ago. Moonroof extend just fine. I am getting some slight rack noise so I may experiment with a wind deflector.

LR34

Reaction score
...I am getting some slight rack noise so I may experiment with a wind deflector.

Nas-

I was afraid of that (wind noise). I was hoping the rack was low enough that it may not be an issue. And I had my email all ready to send to Derek for the half platform rack (your pictures helped). Now I will wait to see if you have any luck with a wind deflector. It looks like Yakima has fairings that will fit their round cross bars. I don't know if they will fit the UO rack since: 1) the distance between front bar on rack and roof is much lower than standard crossbar, and 2) the perpendicular bars welded to front bar may interfere with the Yakima fairing attachment points. Let us know if you come up with a solution.

Also, how does the rack look from the inside (i.e. is there noticeable blocking of sunroof from bars? Does center crossbar on rack fall between 2nd & 3rd sunroof so it is not noticeable. Thanks.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll take some pics of the rack from within.

As far as the wind noise, I'm going to start by having a wind deflector made that mounts to the rack itself, similar to what front runner and a few others do. Just a simple bend on a sheet of aluminum. Will stop by the metal shop tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

An example is at 53 sec. in this video: Front Runner Roof Rack Land Rover LR3 LR4 installation vide.mov - YouTube

PALR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a factory expedition rack on my '11 RR and I used the nicer of the two foam hot water heater pipe insulators from Lowes and zip tied it to the front bar. Keeping the air from going under the front bar was the trick.

For some reason, Lowes has a nicer sort of ****** rubber insulator, not that cheesy brown kind of plastic insulator everybody else has. It's pretty unobtrusive...

LR34

Reaction score
I had a factory expedition rack on my '11 RR and I used the nicer of the two foam hot water heater pipe insulators from Lowes and zip tied it to the front bar. Keeping the air from going under the front bar was the trick....

I thought about pipe insulation as a possibility. If I get the rack I might give that a shot if it looks ok. I also read about people wrapping paracord around the front bar to break up the air flow.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72