used car hunt...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GY are the svck, as the younger set posts it. Really bad, but it is what it is and you'll replace later. Full size or temp spare (most likely)? BTW, any car can be cleaned up pretty if done right, so you're right to inspect.

I saw the spare tire, but I did not look at it very closely. I will check on Monday.

mustbeaudi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust on the Jeep is likely from snow belt exposure, it's an off-lease turn-in and the finance companies ship them all over to realize best pricing at wholesale auctions. A carfax should be free from dealer, it'll confirm where initially driven. Surface rust is no issue, cars here in Detroit last a long time without anything more than surface rust on such parts and more!

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The rust on the Jeep is likely from snow belt exposure, it's an off-lease turn-in and the finance companies ship them all over to realize best pricing at wholesale auctions. A carfax should be free from dealer, it'll confirm where initially driven. Surface rust is no issue, cars here in Detroit last a long time without anything more than surface rust on such parts and more!

That makes sense. I ran a carfax on it; it has always been owned here in Utah--lots of snow and salt here in the winter, so I am sure you are right about it not being an issue. I'm just paranoid.

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If anyone cares... I just got an insurance quote for the '06 LR3 SE V8 and an '06 Jeep Commander 5.7L Limited. The Jeep was $1330/year and the LR3 was $1366. Basically the same ($3 difference a month).

Gikeitha

Reaction score
My first Land Rover!

Hello community!
I've just purchased my first Land Rover LR3 (2007) with 24,000 miles on it. Im excited and a little nervous from some of the reviews on mechanical problems. However I test drove it and fell in love. So Im looking for extended warranty to ease my fears. Any suggestions?

Gikeitha
Austin Texas

beantmt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello community!
I've just purchased my first Land Rover LR3 (2007) with 24,000 miles on it. Im excited and a little nervous from some of the reviews on mechanical problems. However I test drove it and fell in love. So Im looking for extended warranty to ease my fears. Any suggestions

Land Rover has a 4 year / 50,000 mile warranty, so depending on when your vehicle first went into service (i.e., when the first owner got it) you should have around 2 years left on your warranty. Regarding an extended warranty, it seems like most people here suggest the Ford ESP warranty, which was already mentioned in this thread. From what I understand, you just want to get the extended warranty before your original warranty expires. If you got Certified Pre-Owned from the dealership, that will also extend your warranty.

teamfalcon

Reaction score
This is exactly the kind of information I was looking for.

My wife and have been looking for three rows with a little luxury and muscle(and style).

We were looking at a 'new' 2008 LR3 (9,000) miles for $38,000, it's a program type of car, used for loaners, etc.

We were going to wait for the LR4, but at $55,000 +, we'd hate to extend ourselves and leave room for a small RV.

The dealer says it's still covered in the original 4/50k warranty, it's a SE model but we've also heard the 'dependability' ratings and we're unsure.

We currently have a Ford Fx4 2005 and a BMW 325 2004 and the BMW was ALWAYS in the shop and it was a pain in the **** (window regulators, control arms, bushings,etc).

From the reading in here(and other forums) people are pretty satisfied with the LR3.

We're planning to purchase it this Saturday (09/19).

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dealer says it's still covered in the original 4/50k warranty, it's a SE model but we've also heard the 'dependability' ratings and we're unsure.

The dependability ratings (ie Consumer Reports et al) were lumping the LR3 in with the Discovery II, which doesn't share a single part (that I know of) with the LR3 - the DiscoI/II, while much loved amoung enthusiasts certainly wasn't as reliable as your average vehicle...

We currently have a Ford Fx4 2005 and a BMW 325 2004 and the BMW was ALWAYS in the shop and it was a pain in the **** (window regulators, control arms, bushings,etc).

I have an aging 330Ci ('01) which has been remarkably reliable - BMW simply did a poor job at representing wear and tear items on their vehicles; their bushings provide a specific ride/handling characteristic that simply doesn't go hand in hand with longevity. If you are getting control arm replacements before 100k miles, then it's probably as much a case of ease of installation - I replaced the control arms at the same time as the bushings as the cost of the extra parts was cheaper then the labour (my own, which I do value!) to effectively remove and repress/replace the bushings from the arms without damaging something - note that I'm not defending the brand, merely explaining what's "normal" - information that certainly isn't passed along to the average customer. The electronics part (ie regulators) - just crappy QC on the part of BMW, and a known problem for quite a few years. Luckly regulators are less then $100 and relatively easy to replace yourself (haven't had to do mine, but have helped others).

I bring all this up, because the LR3 will likely chew through brakes fairly quickly compared to other vehicles (it is afterall quite heavy) and will likely require bushings in the first few years of it's life - again due to weight and bushing design. That being said, it's certainly a great vehicle to own, and I have yet to have any problems with it!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the reading in here(and other forums) people are pretty satisfied with the LR3.

This forum is mostly an off-roading crowd. That might account for some of the glee associated with our LR3s. If it wasn't for the great performance they offer on the trail, we may not be so chipper about the frequency of trips to the shop!

Just something to think about...are you going to 'wheel it?

teamfalcon

Reaction score
gtc, thanks for your response.

It wouldn't be a big deal 'taking it in' if the local land rover shop was close by. It's an hour away.

But it sounds like THAT would be the biggest inconvenience, and my wife and I think the 3 rows and muscle on the beach is well worth it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge