Using command shift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I find myself using comand shift more often. What are you thoughts on advantages and disadvantages? I like that it allows me to use my brakes less because we all love burning through our brakes. :biggrin:

What are your thoughts? Uses more gas? Extra wear on the tranny?

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use it to downshift coming off the freeway to help save the brakes and it has helped a lot. The first Rover I had was an '06 Sport and I needed to replace the brakes after only ~17k miles. I wasn't used to the heavier car and was just driving it like my old Lexus convertible. When I upgraded to the '08 LR3 :wink: I knew better. I have about 30k miles on it, including lots of off road miles and I still have the original brakes.

SoCal LR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'd be concerned about extra wear on the transmission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is what I do: I generally drive around town in Sport mode. If I have a more-sudden-than-expected stop or slowing to make, I quickly use Command Shift. From that point on I stay in Command Shift. That is my normal MO. I am only in D when I'm on the freeway or above 50 mph on a highway.

I got over 50k on my first set of rear brake pads, 60k on the fronts. I'm now at 87k and both second sets are holding up well.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hardly use command shift and sport mode. Ill use CS when merging on a freeway. My mpg drops when I use sport mode. Sport mode does not allow 6th gear...unless you manually select it

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you "manually select" 6th gear you'd no longer be in Sport Mode!

Hmmm....extra wear on the tranny? I suppose...but it's made for it. So that'd be like saying that it puts extra wear on the engine any time you operate the vehicle. While it may be true technically, it's not a reason to stop doing it.

Boaz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you "manually select" 6th gear you'd no longer be in Sport Mode!

Hmmm....extra wear on the tranny? I suppose...but it's made for it. So that'd be like saying that it puts extra wear on the engine any time you operate the vehicle. While it may be true technically, it's not a reason to stop doing it.

Exactly... :cool:

blackforestham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the Land Rover Driving Instructors, command shift is THE preferred method for city driving as it minimizes the hundreds of computer shifting operations and decisions per mile - ie; extends the life of your transmission. I had a specific conversation relating to this with Lea McGee. Yeah, I say he's qualified to make this statement.

EGRIZZLE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to the Land Rover Driving Instructors, command shift is THE preferred method for city driving as it minimizes the hundreds of computer shifting operations and decisions per mile - ie; extends the life of your transmission. I had a specific conversation relating to this with Lea McGee. Yeah, I say he's qualified to make this statement.

NICE! I'm loving using it driving around the city.

Who is Lea McGee?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635