Wanting To Paint Wheels Flat Black - Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
How long does the process for a DIY job take? Is it something I can do on a Saturday or will I be without a car for a whole weekend?

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EZ peezy

How long does the process for a DIY job take? Is it something I can do on a Saturday or will I be without a car for a whole weekend?

Just make sure to scrub and clean em exceptionally well, then sand em up good! Use a scothbrite or equiv pad plus sandpaper then go at it! Get some good paint though and follow directions. Works best if you can lay the wheels flat on the ground so that paint self levels. Go ez on the coats though....Depending on the paint cure you should be done pretty quik and pls send pix of your handywork! :cool:

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i knocked out my wife's on a saturday. i took all the wheels off and put the D2 on jack stands. i sanded/cleaned the wheels and then taped off the tires with newspaper. a few light coats of white and then a sealant. i let the truck set for a couple of days before driving it.

drjwelch

Reaction score
You guys have me seriously considering rattle can. I have been planning on powder coating, but it looks like the ones that have already powder coated don't seem to really think there is a benefit. hmmmmmm

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys have me seriously considering rattle can. I have been planning on powder coating, but it looks like the ones that have already powder coated don't seem to really think there is a benefit. hmmmmmm

They will get rock chips and scratches - and a $5 can of spray paint and some masking tape is a lot easier/cheaper than getting them re-powder coated.

Yes I have spray painted several wheels. Go with a gunmetal/dark gray, not black. The tires will never be as black as the paint = wheels look dirty and faded.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rattle Canu

Choose ur poison, I went pwdr satin blk which I scraped , chiped , scratched then faded over the course of 4yrs and so I took it to powder since all 4 were in need and the pwdr guy needed to charge even more labor to grind and blast the extra tuff coating off. Basically costing me more than original silver to blk job. I suggest you get a set of townies and reserve the trail set for fun stuff! Plus the wife wont give you any grief for the skulldugary. You do the math! :albertein

Last edited:

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just personal preference. i used flat black on my wife's before painting them white. my powdercoat is gloss. personally i prefer the matte black.

btw....i went wheelin' with the TREC guys last week near cookeville and took a few more chunks out my powdercoating. i think we are going to go to wooly's tomorrow morning.

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
I'm not familiar with TREC?
I'd love to head to Wooly's but I've got church in the morning. Give me a head's up on next time you're headed out--would love to hook up...gotta break in (read: justify) the new BFG's.

tomasesto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright. Nashville weather says tomorrow is sunny, so this is going down tomorrow. Does everybody use flat black? I saw this tutorial http://offroad-review.com/new/index.php?page=238 and they used a satin finish...anybody have experience?
quick and dirty of it is that my satin blks get nasty dirty and even after cleaning and armoral it still isnt like b4. thinkn shoulda went gloss just cuz they stay cleaner and brake dust doesnt seem to hang on as hard for some reason. most of all is when you hose the gloss blk with plain h2o ur done! thats jus my 2cents

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9