Wanting To Paint Wheels Flat Black - Suggestions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking for an update how these are holding up?? scratches or chips?

Just ordered 265/60r18 Mickey thompson Baja STZ's and when they get here i want to do the same to mine!

Called a few powder coating places locally today and all of them wanted 400-550 and it was about a 2 week wait, sorry but I'm not wanting to go two weeks with my rover on jack stands!!

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah mine was $450 if Im not mistaken powdercoated matte black but was only 2 days. They dismounted the wheels in their shop, left my car on the hoist, then installed finished wheels and lowered her down! Pretty lucky I was

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may try to spray the fullsize spare a flat black to at least blend in when its used.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I sprayed mine in a day with the rubber still on (masked off with tape). Used this:
81mvf7jQ0bL._AA1500_.jpg

Still looks great over a year later. maybe one or two chunks missing, but I blame that on curbs not the paint. Ill post an updated pic with the new rubber next week.

-[edit]- sorry for the big pic, obviously it only takes 1 can to do all 5 wheels ;-)

Last edited:

manbehindbeard

Reaction score
Looking for an update how these are holding up?? scratches or chips?

Just ordered 265/60r18 Mickey thompson Baja STZ's and when they get here i want to do the same to mine!

Called a few powder coating places locally today and all of them wanted 400-550 and it was about a 2 week wait, sorry but I'm not wanting to go two weeks with my rover on jack stands!!

Sorry--been out of town. Still looks great! Highly recommended...

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention the Rustoleum Mettalic is a close match to the plastic fender arches. Need some touch up to cover the old weight spots - W/ New tires:

IMAG0228.jpg

StevenJ_AK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, i did it today, all in all, they look GREAT. It took about 7 hours total with two people working. We heavy sanded the rims fixing imperfections and dings, then light sanded, cleaned and primed with a grey adhesion/ sandable primer. Then final paint color was Dupli-Color matt black wheel coating which claims to have metallic in it but i don't see it that much. Chose NOT to clear coat even though i had it, due to the fact it was adding too much gloss to my test metal that i used to see how all this would come out. I love the look, just hoping the durability will be there at least for a a few months.
Heres the pics!
6304460658_7896d346aa_z.jpg

Untitled by StevenJ_AK, on Flickr
6304463634_e0aeca3880_z.jpg

6304467274_d1bf44e7a3_z.jpg

Untitled by StevenJ_AK, on
6303978785_176fd8ab13_z.jpg

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice pics! I used a wire brush attached to my drill to speed up prep. I also popped the center caps and left them silver, but I like the black ones too.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9