Wenches, who has 'em and which one did you go with?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just finished the install of a Rasta hidden winch tray, Warn 9.5 XP, 3/8" viking winchline, and warn wireless remote. I took two evenings to install as I took my time, the fit and finish is awesome. You really don't see it unless you are looking. I had to bend the lever to control the spool clutch and it is a little tight getting your hand in there. I have wound the line twice just getting the line set on the drum right. I did not think it was too hard to get it set right however I was in a parking lot winching myself over to a tree, wife was in the car with foot on the brake. I'm hitting the trails this weekend and will report my experiences.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congrats man!

What would you say you spent on all items?

I got the Rasta Hidden Mount, Warn 9.5XP, Warn Wireless Remote, 3/8" Viking Winchline, Viking 350 large radius Hawse Fairlead, and Mantec front skid plate. My out of pocket cost was $2,166.00. However, I ordered the winch from amazon for $1,054.00 and used $600 in Amazon gift certificates that I got from one of my rewards credit cards. I also used my prime shipping at Amazon to ship the winch overnight for $4!!

Anyway, I think it looks great, adds minimal weight to the front end (have not noticed difference in handling or ride), no change to approach angle, now the test will be functionality and I intend to give that a try this weekend :tongue:.

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to post some 'action' shots but here are some before it hits the trails :cool:.

LR3winch1.jpg

I tried to get the mount flush with the bumper. As it is it sticks out about 1/8" on bottom and is behind the bumper about 1/8" on the top. I may bring it out a little more, we'll see.
LR3winch2.jpg

LR3winch3.jpg

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great Craig. Nice choice on the black fairlead. May I ask why you did not get the Winchline Saftey Thimble? I highly reccommend them, particularly in this sort of application where you can't see the winch very well.

zbysiu23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really neat..
I do have the LR driving lights on mine..I wonder if with the lights and with the bumper bracketsI wander if there would be enough room for the hidden winch???

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great Craig. Nice choice on the black fairlead. May I ask why you did not get the Winchline Saftey Thimble? I highly reccommend them, particularly in this sort of application where you can't see the winch very well.

I initially thought that I did not want the Thimble sticking out there. Now I wish I had gone with it initially. I may get one spliced in, we'll see. I do think it would work great with this setup!

craiglud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really neat..
I do have the LR driving lights on mine..I wonder if with the lights and with the bumper bracketsI wander if there would be enough room for the hidden winch???

Funny, I was thinking about adding those too. Do you know what they connect to under the bumper, i can't imagine that they take up too much room on the underside. :stupid:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have thoughts on a hidden winch on top of a non-winch Aframe? Possible? Thanks.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM