What kind of leak is this?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a leak and I'm wondering is it a coolant leak or a trans leak? 2012 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0 V8.

r1zkVWa.jpg

alldazed

Reaction score
Theoretically if it was tranny fluid it would be a shade of grey / clearer as factory fill is zf lifeguard. If it’s genuine lr coolant I believe a black light will react with it but purely as a guess it could be rear crossover pipe leaking as the source if it is coolant . How’s the coolant level ?

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That does look coolant-ish to me (with the caveat that camera, monitor, white balance, etc., would all affect what you see vs what I see.)

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolant reservoir is a little low but above the fill line when cold. Is the rear crossover accessible from the top? I'm mechanically inclined but haven't done this job before. I just got the truck and it has a lot of problems. I need to start knocking them down beginning with that rear cross over. If it fails I'll blow the motor.

ktm525

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup coolant. Crossovers and have a hard look at your water pump. If that is the transmission pan then your leak is somewhere towards the back.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The leak is dropping down onto the transmission. The rear cross over pipe sounds like the culprit.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its the rear crossover that is leaking. I can see and feel the pipe leaking at the drivers side. I'm debating on whether I should try to fix it myself and buy all the tools (I've worked on plenty of cars), have an independent mechanic do the work (2 weeks out just for the appointment) or let it sit and save for a TAPA engine. My timing chain is slapping too so it is a double whammy. It has 97k miles on it. My problem is I don't have a car so that makes things a bit harder.

I searched through all the posts here and the rear coolant pipe doesn't sound extremely difficult. Removing the fuel line seems like the scariest thing because it is under pressure and I'm not sure how to bleed off the fuel line pressure before disconnecting. Does anyone know or did you just loosen the line w/out releasing the pressure?

The TAPA engine sounds good because is more powerful and I can start with a fresh engine on my new-to-me LR4. I talked to the TAPA today and they bore the cylinders out .50 over and that is where the additional power comes from. It will have more power throughout the power band. Any thoughts on how to approach this?

LB Bill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is the rear crossover accessible from the top? I'm mechanically inclined but haven't done this job before.
Here's the link to post #19 of a thread on here that has a video of the repair. Yes, it's accessible from the top... not too easily, but probably the only way.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72