What kind of Stereos is everyone using?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

qadhafi

Reaction score
What kind of Stereo is everyone using?

So I picked up my Rover on Sat and I love it. The one thing that is nagging at me is the stereo (moreso the lack of a cd changer).

It has the factory stereo and I am pleased with the sound. I'm not really one of those guys who will drop a few grand on their "System" and I'm just trying to find a way to play cds. I have MP3 players in two other vehicles and would prefer to put one in the Disco. Below are my options.

1. Find a factory changer off of ebay.
Pro: Probably the easiest way out.
Con: No MP3's
Cost: $200 +s/h

2. Have a totally new headunit installed.
Pro: MP3's and XM ready (would add XM later on)
Con: Expensive. A headunit would run close to $200 plus around $70 installation. The AMP would have to be bypassed and if I wanted the Steering Wheel controls to still control the volume it would run another $75.
Cost: $350+

3. RF modulated MP3 10 disc CD changer. Installation would run $70.
Pro: 10 discs of MP3's= roughly 200 albums worth of music. Volume controls on wheel would still work. I could take the changer out myself if anything ever happened (sold/wrecked it).
Cons: From what I've heard the RF modulation takes a great deal away from the sound quality. There would also be about $25 worth of antenna adapters involved.
Cost: $200

So there it is. Is anyone else running anything aftermarket on their stereo system? If so how are you running it and how does it work?

If anyone has any more options I'd appreciate the help. I'm a music ****** (20 Gigs of MP3's) and the radio stations in my area are spotty at best.

Last edited:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 300W Alpine amp under the front passenger seat with a nice Alpine deck. Cost me $299 but was top of the line last year. Under the rear seat I have a JL 500 monoblock and a 12" W6 JL sub and everything sounds unbelievable. Also am running a large cap in the rear to power the large amp. I personally don't like CD changers. I like being the DJ and cd changers slow me way down.

Monty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Derek, I like the idea of upgrading the hu and adding other components later on. I know it will cost more but in the end, you'll have all that you want a good sounding system at that.

Not sure about Disco's but I've installed a Pioneer hu in my dad's Ranger this last Christmas and it came with all of the wiring harness that connects to the factory harness. It was so easy to do so you might be able to do all the install yourself and save. I noticed Crutchfield had Pioneer disc changers for 179 or so.

Any pics of your setup Sam?

Last edited:

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't have a digital camera right now. I ordered one, and it should be getting here before friday hopefully. I will post a pic then.

chuyrdzc

Reaction score
In my personal opinion I would go much simpler. I bought the 40G Ipod player, and bought the FM modulator(Itrip). I have all my CDs in the small convenient little gadget. Some people complain about having low reception from the Itrip. I fixed that with a cassette adapter I had from an old Portable Sony Cd Player.

Good luck finding that great sounding stereo.

Regards
JR

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried few models in my trucks and i'd say - Alpine is indeedy the best way to go. Wish they would make it not XM but Sirius compatible, then i'd have same stations as in my other truck (dont like XM, sorry).
Anyway - here is what i did. I got Alpine h/u + MP3 cd changer with modulator . That effectively screwed subs in back, as everything had to be bypassed and i didnt want to cough money for new amp presently. H/u got mosfet built-in and it is pretty much enough for me. Reason why i didnt just hook up my Nomad jukebox - b/c i dont like drag things around. Its easier for me to burn data CD with them MP3s than to deal with file transfers and then having to push tiny buttons while driving :).

Installation was like 80$, h/u i got for about 120$ and changer was 99$. Hours of good songs of me choice, sharp sound and ability to hook up whatever i want later (got 3x4 preamp outputs).

qadhafi

Reaction score
Uzbad said:
I tried few models in my trucks and i'd say - Alpine is indeedy the best way to go. Wish they would make it not XM but Sirius compatible, then i'd have same stations as in my other truck (dont like XM, sorry).
Anyway - here is what i did. I got Alpine h/u + MP3 cd changer with modulator . That effectively screwed subs in back, as everything had to be bypassed and i didnt want to cough money for new amp presently. H/u got mosfet built-in and it is pretty much enough for me. Reason why i didnt just hook up my Nomad jukebox - b/c i dont like drag things around. Its easier for me to burn data CD with them MP3s than to deal with file transfers and then having to push tiny buttons while driving :).

Installation was like 80$, h/u i got for about 120$ and changer was 99$. Hours of good songs of me choice, sharp sound and ability to hook up whatever i want later (got 3x4 preamp outputs).

Uzbad, i know that there is noticable sound loss in using the Modulator, but is it bad enough NOT to buy one?

Thanks everyone for helping me out with this decisision.

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it all depends on quality of modulator and FM reciever, IMHO. Changer came with modulator, so i didnt get one of the shelf, but i wouldnt say there is any serious quality loss in sound or in power. I am not audiofil by all means so i am may be missing something that will be noticeable for serious music lovers, but then truck isnt filarmony either, so it is no matter what you do - still will get some sound quality issues.

I guess it also depends where and how you hook it - mine is pretty close to reciever wire-wise so that would be another issue.

Plus, if you really afraid of power loss - you can always amplify signal that goes by antenna wire - its dead simple. Similar principle used in most of "rabbit ear" antennas to amplify TV signal.

In general - yes it will be worse than direct playback. But considering price difference for similar options - i figured that i dont care.

M

marc olivares

i did what Jesus said.

stock radio w/ factory cd changer, 40GB IPOD and an ITRIP plug.
i use the bajezzus out of my ipod
(infact i'm looking at buying another cuz' my 40 is full)
i luvz the MP3's!!!

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marc - get yourself external enclosure for hard drives and bunch of HDDs. Will be cheaper and will give you unlimited backup capacity :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM