What kind of Tire life should I expect on BFG AT's???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had them on for a little over a year and about 10k miles. The spare has never seen pavement and has twice the tread of the rest. If I only get 20k out of a set that doesn't seem too good to me!!!. I have had the alignment done and it seems to track well, also the tires are wearing evenly.. What kind of milage have others gotten out of this tire??

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have yet to run them, but a few of my Jeep buddies have manged 50-60k from a set....pretty good for an AT.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
People rave about the BFG AT. I ran a set many years ago on a 1984 Ford Bronco II. I didn't do as well...but I switched them out with about 33% tread for some Wild Countries (Les Schwab mudders) that I got a great deal on. Anyway....I think they were on track for about the same, 50k or so.

...but every tire/vehicle combination is different. I think several people on this board run the BFG, so you should get some decent feedback.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had mine for two years. Had mixed opinions on the BFG's. They were tough as nails as far as sidewall resistance is concerned but lacked traction on large rocks even aired down to 20lbs they just were not as "sticky" as I would have liked them to be. Lots of chunking on the side lugs I think from the tread compound being very hard. Overall though they lasted for two years at 1-2 trails per month plus about 20k on the tarmack. Mileage is probably more if you wheel them a less. I know Scott (Trynian) runs them as well and has good things to say about them.

Last edited:

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe that's just the way it goes then.....Mine are chunking real bad all over the place and the compound seems pretty soft for an AT. Overall I would only rank them as average on the LR3. I have friends that have gotten 40k on the BFG MTs on Defender 110's! Maybe I'll spring for the MTR's next time instead. I had the AT's on a Dakota I had 6-7 years ago and I loved them on that rig, maybe they have changed the compounds since then.

duckdive

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran them on all my tacoma's and got good mileage out of them. I have concluded that tires that do well on one vehicle, might not do so well on another. So you just have to experiment and find a tire that suits your needs and driving style.

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard the General Grabbers are getting a redesign...that might be something to consider.

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just checked, I have 18K on my General AT2 Grabbers (still love them). They will need replacing in the spring or next 10K miles.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are getting irregular tire wear, that is an alignment/shock issues, not the tires.
I have run BFG MT's for 8 plus years and average 50K out of a set.
For that LR3, might want to look at Good Year's Dura Trac, probably one of the best new tires on the market, a little pricy but will handle all road conditions very well.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DuraTrac is a good suggestion...especially for you Ryan since you run a lift. ....really depends though. I know you wheel so you may wanna just go MT/R. ...but how much do you drive on tarmac? The Tracs look to be a good AT tire.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo