What lift do I want? Please help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@erankin: what faults? The only time you get a fault with the rod-mod is if you're in extended mode and try to get super-extended. So as long as the driver is aware...the faults are not going to happen.

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of the Johnson Rods, I like them. I dont leave them on full time since I am used to sports cars and being taller makes me feel tippy, but they are great for trails. Pretty easy install, however I took a chunk out of a rubber piece while removing them with a screwdriver. He sent me a new grommet to replace the damaged one so thumbs up for that.

erankin

Reaction score
maybe I am misunderstanding but some of these posts reference fault messages with lift kits. is the assumption that with lift rods you are already driving around at max hieght? and changing to other modes gets another lift on top of the existing? I am just asking for clarification. I have daily driver concerns about wear on the air system. the above lucky 8 moves the air placement as a whole which appears to be a better design than rods. is that true in anyones opinion?

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally there are 4 heights. Access, normal, off road, and extended. Extended is 4" higher than off-road and the vehicle does it automatically if it is high centered..

No, the rods do not make the suspension to drive around at max height. The rods basically "trick" the sensors and all of your heights are all increased by 2" or so. So "normal" is now 2" higher than it was, and off road is 2" higher than is used to be. The fault occurs when the vehicle tries to go into extended mode, the springs will go to maximum height but the sensors will not register that... Therefore it will be asking for 4 more inches but can't get all of it. Make sense?

Not really harmful, they only go into extended mode when they are high centered, and the driver is prompted to return the vehicle to another height once the obstacle is cleared.

Johnson Rods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
maybe I am misunderstanding but some of these posts reference fault messages with lift kits. is the assumption that with lift rods you are already driving around at max hieght? and changing to other modes gets another lift on top of the existing? I am just asking for clarification. I have daily driver concerns about wear on the air system. the above lucky 8 moves the air placement as a whole which appears to be a better design than rods. is that true in anyones opinion?

With the rod lift you are diving in the off road mode for the normal setting and in the extended mode for the off road setting. The kit with the spacers also includes an adjustable rod so you may gain an additional two inches more than a rod lift alone. Can't tell you much about how well that is working as I have not seen feedback yet. Generally, the rod lift will get you what you need and is less expensive. That being said, spacers are a proven product on other off road vehicles and have a good history. If anyone has experience with the LR3 spacers it would be good to hear about it on this forum.

ChesapeakeRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Normally there are 4 heights. Access, normal, off road, and extended. Extended is 4" higher than off-road and the vehicle does it automatically if it is high centered..

No, the rods do not make the suspension to drive around at max height. The rods basically "trick" the sensors and all of your heights are all increased by 2" or so. So "normal" is now 2" higher than it was, and off road is 2" higher than is used to be. The fault occurs when the vehicle tries to go into extended mode, the springs will go to maximum height but the sensors will not register that... Therefore it will be asking for 4 more inches but can't get all of it. Make sense?

Not really harmful, they only go into extended mode when they are high centered, and the driver is prompted to return the vehicle to another height once the obstacle is cleared.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure with the Rod Mod, a fault occurs when the driver attempts to access the new "Super Extended" mode (by placing their foot on the brake and manually pressing the air suspension lever to get it to raise even further) after the vehicle is already high centered and in new "Extended", i.e. old "Super Extended", and this maxes out the suspension beyond its limits and thus creates the fault

Last edited:

Panzerknacker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure with the Rod Mod, a fault occurs is when the driver attempts to access the new "Super Extended" mode (by placing their foot on the brake and manually pressing the air suspension lever to get it to raise even further) after the vehicle is already high centered and in new "Extended", i.e. old "Super Extended", and this maxes out the suspension beyond its limits and thus creates the fault

Mine had a fault when it went into extended mode on the trail a little bit ago so thats what I was going off of. I was probably mistaken on the super extended thing I didnt look it up. In either case the computer requests height that the suspension cant produce because the rods have it higher than stock already. Probably why the fault results.

Trynian

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure with the Rod Mod, a fault occurs when the driver attempts to access the new "Super Extended" mode (by placing their foot on the brake and manually pressing the air suspension lever to get it to raise even further) after the vehicle is already high centered and in new "Extended", i.e. old "Super Extended", and this maxes out the suspension beyond its limits and thus creates the fault

It all depends on the individual calibration of each vehicle. See my earlier post on the second page of this thread for details as to why.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my $0.02: I run the rods now when I'm off-roading and switch back 'n forth. If I ever go to full-time use, I'd invest in the spacer kit.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo