What should I buy: roof rack or hella lights?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got the rack mounted!

I dipped the feet and clamps in liquid rubber last night and put it on my Discovery this morning. I may strip the liquid rubber off of the clamps (puts a little too much bulk on, my door just barely misses hitting the bottom of the clamp), but I will take care of that a little later.

Here is a picture...

Attachments

• IMG_0755.jpg
    IMG_0755.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 117

Slam

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that looks SWEET! Good purchase.

tmiller1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ChrisV said:
I recently had to take a highway trip with a client. I wanted to reduce wind noise quickly. A quick trip to Lowe's and I whipped up 2 quick wind dams. I now have minimal wind noise even at 80mph. (function before fashion here) I am keeping them on just cuz my Jeep buddy does not like them.
Chris, what are all of the materials that you used to create your custom air dams? The noise is horrid with my new rack once I reach about 60 MPH.

C

ChrisV

Your rack looks great! Yeah they are loud.

Here is my process:
created template from posterboard. cut out plexiglass to shape.
A trip to Lowes to get the following:
Rubber lined 1" pipeclamps, 1/4 Neoprene Washers, 1/4-20 x 3/4 Socket Head Cap head screws. (4 per panel) Need some 1/4" nuts too. The Socket Head Srews will rust soon. I was just going to touch up with some paint.

I cut out the patterns with drywall cutout tool with all-purpose bit. I sanded the back side of the plxiglass, then spray painted sanded side flat balck. Drilled holes and mounted.

I will try and get better picks soon. Here is a pic of the washers and bolts purchased from Lowes. I am sure you can find same stuff from somewhere else. This is just what I created.

There is still noise. Nothing like before. I might have added some wind noise with my RockyMounts bike racks I just added.

Attachments

• roverrack2.jpg
    roverrack2.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 130
  • rover-fastners.jpg
    rover-fastners.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 116
Last edited by a moderator:

Sergei

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alternatively you can just grab thule/yackima rack faring...

However - odd but i didnt notice much of noise on mine - guess i well used to it after being in XTerra for 2 years..

Oh and Troy - looks good :) Now to next puzzle - how to get hi-lift to NOT MAKE STUPID NOISE when bolted on rack and going offroad :)

C

ChrisV

Alternatively you can just grab thule/yackima rack faring...

I have a thule one from my old J#*&. It was not or wide enough and just looked funny. (more than my current setup)

redrover51

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy a rack...it will motivate you to scrimp for lights, and whatever else you can fit up there to impress the lizzards.

M

mjames007

Info on wiring lights on a roof rack?

Does anyone have any info on how to run the wires to roof rack mounted lights? How do you get the cables into the cars interior?

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM