what the transfer case does

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gmoney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the transfer case does? I had a leak in mine and they corrected it and it seems the car is shifting much better and smoother…
2005 lr3 42000 miles

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transfer_case

Primarliy, the transfer case receives power from the transmission and sends it to both the front and rear axles.

If the dealer "reflashed" your Transmission Control Module (TCM) as part of the repair, this could also explain the smoother shifting behavior.

Last edited:

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Transer case is why you bought your Rover...

It's what gives you 4wd, it is what drives the front wheels...

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It does more than send the power to the front and rear. What it does is double the effective number of gears you have, by stepping down the gearing which in effect, provides significantly more torque to the wheels. So instead of being able to hit 23mph in first gear in normal high-range drive mode, it is limited to a 7mph crawl by the effect of the transfer case's gear ratio. This is one of the most essential components of a 4wd drive vehicle compared to all wheel drive like the Mercedes. With a low range transfer case, the power and control is increased exponentially.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys...I think you're mis-interpreting the OP's question! I do think that the transfer case on the LR3 has something to do with shift points. I recently had to have the TCCM updated after getting a transmission fault. My SA asked me if I used Command Shift very much. I said "yes" and he said something about a connection between the two.

BTW, the Mercedes M-class DOES have a 2-speed transfer case...up until the 2k5 or 2k6 MY, I don't remember which.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635