what to do what to do, 4runner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right...and I've taken mine to the Yukon Territory and back, so saying they aren't reliable or durable is a bit unfounded.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very good points. EAS is has its positives I seriously use it all the time, for those of us who are a bit more heavy on the off road side of things, we are in areas that if that system fails your riding on your frame, and it is not getting fixed anytime soon. An option for (coil overs) has been ask for quite some time. My next point about EAS is the out right annoyance with the speed limits resetting the heights after 25mph, its needed for the city slickers (and non thinkers) only who drive these things like sport cars on the freeway. Land Rover has to improve and take criticism its the only way to get a better product, factory bushings should have no issues to a 100K without question. Everyone is correct about the quality of the ride compared to a 4Runner, etc. but durability and reliability for the past 25 years has been and always will be the key to success. The water intrusion issue(s) should be a full recall item, it can enter from the cowl, side pillars and the crap sun roof and destroy the electronics. My sunroof tubes have never plugged, but the side pillar cover has torn off in a strong wind, unacceptable this is when I personally fixed the issue finding a bulletin about the crappy fix for the leaks that occur there. The parking assist system has failed a few times (I have rear only, not function today (said hell with it), taking the bumper cover off to fix is outright stupid (ie time in a shop billed to fix it), when these things could be front access to service and change when 1 or more fails. Engine and transmission is a smooth as it gets, yet there are weak points such as the thermostat housing that cracks and cheap upper radiator mounts (I would check yours, if you have ever used it off road, I would bet there broke). One item that has seriously annoyed me, and many don't even use it, is the winch for the spare tire, it fails if your not very very careful, (X3 on mine) $170 a pop, for something that should last the lifetime of the vehicle. The wheel size is an issue, I have 265/60s on mine, 285/60s it can be dealt with but pointed shoe designers have to understand most people love to make there vehicle unique or improve it over factory. Factor NAV sucks period. There should not be a new vehicle on the road today that does not update with Google Maps. (a disk to update, annoying and stupid).

All in all I have had good luck so far, yet may not buy a new one, apparently LR (I should say Tata now, because Ford made vast improvements) ignores the logs/data created (2005 to 2015) by the shops/dealers when they fix these items and it is obvious that most owners really don't care if its sitting in a shop and dropping cash, that infuriates me because LR feels it can get away with it. The move toward more and more electronics is also very concerning, all the driving aids, do dads, find a way to fail a lot. We will see what the new LR (5) has to offer, FYI when the sport came out, a lot of backlash followed and if you read the timelines they backed stepped and finally said this is the LR2 replacement (it was not the initial intent, it was test marketed as the LR replacement). If they blow it this time I am done with new LRs (11 years with them). I like the fact I can take it off road and pull into valet, but also don't want to be seen as a posh LR owner with my pinky in the air, can't stand that. We can't get the Defender here, that really drives me nuts!!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sogs, I do agree with most everything you said. Only part I don't agree on is the bit about the EAS and the desire for a coil replacement. I am myself heavy on the off-road side of things, and it would take a great deal to get you on your frame. I feel that a lot of using the LR3 for those purposes comes down to preparing differently than you would in a D2 or a D90 for that matter. Your tool kit changes (computers and diagnostic tools as well as wrenches and hammers) and your spares kit changes too. If you are equipping for overlanding and being way out in the boonies you may want to stay at 31" OD or under.

As for the speed related warnings. If you are really going over 25 MPH do you need to be in off-road height? I'd say no...and I am referring to useage while off-road. Any time that happens to me, I'm generally on a logging road or forest service road and indeed I need to either slow down or just let the EAS lower and in that case I won't care.

Agree on the electronics stuff being the wrong focus. ...and honestly I know that that sells cars, but keep ONE true-blue off-roading utilitarian beast (think Defender) and do what you want with the other models!

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree on the electronics stuff being the wrong focus. ...and honestly I know that that sells cars, but keep ONE true-blue off-roading utilitarian beast (think Defender) and do what you want with the other models!

The TopGear lads said last week that Land Rover is "working on a new defender now and it looks exactly the same as the old one"

Lets hope James May has got some accurate info

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Body aside, I hope its underpinnings are the same and the price-point is nearly the same as it was in the mid-90s. THAT would be a record-breaking seller in terms of volume.

My wish list: body-on-frame, solid axles (or an extremely ruggedized EAS) with 16" of travel in front, 20" in rear, same approach/departure/breakover angles as D90, 12" of ground clearance, able to fit 33s w/o mod, 300 hp/350 ft-lbs torque, 60:1 crawl ratio....and THREE lockers. $40,000 MSRP.

:)

That is just about the only thing that could get me to sell my beloved LR3.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...One item that has seriously annoyed me, and many don't even use it, is the winch for the spare tire, it fails if your not very very careful, (X3 on mine) $170 a pop, for something that should last the lifetime of the vehicle. The wheel size is an issue, I have 265/60s on mine, 285/60s it can be dealt with but pointed shoe designers have to understand most people love to make there vehicle unique or improve it over factory. Factor NAV sucks period. There should not be a new vehicle on the road today that does not update with Google Maps. (a disk to update, annoying and stupid).

... We can't get the Defender here, that really drives me nuts!!
Sogs, man, I think you have already moved on! :)
Good tips, luckily I have not had the issues you've had. My 2005 at almost 200K has been pretty good to me. Had a lot of early sensor/firmware issues, tailgate latch breaking, and several warranty repairs but nothing that left me stranded.

That said, thanks for the spare winch heads-up. That scares me! I have used mine a few times but it is few and far between when I do.

When the car was new in 2005, I thought the NAV was one of the best I'd seen. That's 10 years ago...nice touch screen and lots of functionality. The STUPID disclaimer and inability to use it when driving annoys the **** out of me which has kept me from upgrading to a recent map once I heard they got rid of the 1749 hack. These days I have it up as a guide but usually have Waze running on my smartphone. I was thinking of doing one of those mods where you put an iPad mini in the NAV area and just use that for everything. That would be ideal.

Having an HSE, yeah, the low profile tires bother me. I want a deep sidewall to give me a lot more tread options and something that spreads out nice when I have to air down.

Sogs, I do agree with most everything you said. Only part I don't agree on is the bit about the EAS and the desire for a coil replacement. I am myself heavy on the off-road side of things, and it would take a great deal to get you on your frame....

As for the speed related warnings. If you are really going over 25 MPH do you need to be in off-road height? I'd say no...and I am referring to useage while off-road. Any time that happens to me, I'm generally on a logging road or forest service road and indeed I need to either slow down or just let the EAS lower and in that case I won't care.
...!
What annoys me is that when a sensor does fail, it often reverts you to non jacked up height and you are in effect riding on the frame. I'm not sure if that is what he meant, but I have been 10 miles out on the beach and had to drive back in soft sand, not jacked up, dragging my transfer cases and hoping I wouldn't get stuck.

On that topic, the speed related warnings bug the **** out of me. I will usually hit those when I'm on the beach and on open stretches I'll routinely go above 25. I don't want the truck lowering when I'm in soft sand. I need the height! Maybe not when I'm cooking along at 35+, but as soon as I slow down I don't want to have to hit the friggin' lever every time.

Have to admit, if a less complex vehicle had some of the features I really care about, I'd be driving it. The sensors/computer issues annoy me. And where I have not been stranded with a computer related failure far from home, it comes to mind every time I travel because I know the local hick shop isn't going to be able to fix it...

That said, I've never had a 10 year old vehicle look better! No ****, when I wash it people are shocked when I tell them the miles and age of it. It's a good comeback when someone gives you elitist **** for driving a Range Rover ("#1, it's not a Range Rover. #2, it's 10 years old..." WHAT?)
:hello:

Mx468

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Need to get gap tool to adjust suspension height 2.5" or lift rods. My truck rides with the shorter rods, never have to worry about the 25mph limit. You do only if you raise it to the new offroad height.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah my point is that if you're going > 25 MPH you really don't need off-road height. I feel the same as you regarding the ten years old bit and people being amazed especially when I tell them that I take it off-road five times a year!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635