what to do what to do, 4runner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After having this LR3 for 7+ years, I'm getting the itch to at least start thinking about what to get next. I've had only Land Rovers since 1995 and have been very satisfied, especially with the last one. But I'm wondering if a change is in order. Which brings me to the very very short list of alternatives: The Toyota 4runner TRD Pro. (or a slightly lifted and kitted regular 4runner). It's kind of a big ugly mess of a truck, but for some reason I think it's kinda cool looking.

I've always kind of admired the 4runner for its rugged utility, and for it's legendary reliability. With the switch, I would gain the reliability, a few mpg, and the fun of having something different.

I'm just wondering if I could go without all the features that I'd have to leave behind. V8, Heated windshield, fold flat seats, that Land Rover character, much nicer interior, split rear hatch...I know I'm leaving out a ton. Off road ability isn't too much of a concern, since either will do the off roading that I do around here just fine.

Has anybody had or driven one of the newer 4runners? I'd be interested in a comparison if you can offer one. Road handling, comfort, seats, engine power, cool features I don't know about, etc...

The alternative would be a used LR4, so the differences in luxury would be even greater. I think the Toyota interior is the single biggest detractor for me, it might be functional but it's a little on the tacky side.

So, what say ye? How stupid of an idea is this?

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's quite stupid.

It's like someone who has only been to Ruth's Chris for dinner in the last 7 years suddenly wanting to switch it up and start going to Sizzler just because of the price.

Now, I don't know how many people I just offended with that analogy, but I don't care. There are a myriad of other options you could downgrade to that would be less offensive. I will take off-road ability completely out of the picture. I still come up with: Infiniti QX56, Lexus GX460, Jeep Commander, older G-Wagen.

There is nothing wrong with the 4Runner (or a steak from Sizzler) but it just doesn't have much character. It's vanilla.

...I'm just not sure how you can do that after 7 years (20 if we're talking total duration of LR ownership, right?). I'll never not own a Land Rover again.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I actually don't like any of your options at all. I almost like the GX, but not quite. I'd like the G-Wagen for a toy, not for a daily driver. The Infiniti looks like Homer Simpson built it. And the only Jeep I'd ever consider would be a wrangler, but they are way too cramped. It's not really because of the price at all. I'm going to spend around $45,000 or so on either. BTW, I had a great filet last night, but I'm going to McDonald's for lunch - and will enjoy it LOL.

I'd say it has a ton of character on the outside, maybe too much. Just vanilla on the inside....if the vanilla was super ugly and outdated. Even the brand spanking new interior looks outdated.

I'm sure you're right, hopefully I'll get my head straight. Thankfully I have nothing but time.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
McDonald's is TOTALLY different. I mean there are great burgers, bad burgers...then McDonald's. There is authentic awesome Mexican (food), there is BAD Mexican, and then there is Taco Bell. Both McD's and T-B are undeniably delicious, even if they barely qualify as food from their respective categories...and you might not know what you're ingesting.

I'm going to un-digress now. I think the GX is a little boring, but reliable. That's why I suggested that. The G-Wagen is very uncomfortable and I can see why you'd rule it out as a DD. The Jeep was the token American make. Which bring us to the Infin. I am not sure I understand your Homer Simpson reference. It is a very different looking vehicle. I'll call it "edgy" in the same vain that the RR Evoque is edgy. Styling aside, the newest version of the QX is built on the Patrol platform. It's body-on-frame and has true 4WD and Low-Range. It's not a watered down POS cross-over.

I felt like you did, until I looked at it again and again. Now it has won me over. I said the same thing about the L322 when it first came out. I hated them...now I drool over them.

...but whatever, can't argue style/taste except in futility. All this said, go get an LR4 and be happy!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, the LR4 is the way to go. When it was time to retire my beloved allroad, Audi stopped bringing A6 wagons to the US. I really liked my wife's LR3 so it became my daily driver and she got a new LR4.

There are so many upgrades in the LR4 that make it very different from the LR3. Big things like the 5.0 V8 and small things like no more squeaky door handles and so much more. Ours is a Lux, so the interior is beautiful with nicer leather and I like the heated steering wheel feature, especially this cold winter. Rear camera is helpful when the back is filed with gear. 875 watt stereo sounds good and nav screen is improved. So many features that overall it will feel like a different vehicle than your LR3. And you don't have to buy that ugly 4runner.

Having spent time with a 2014 LR4 loaner, I'd look for a 2013 or older in Lux trim. Not a fan of the 2014 SCV6 or the redesigned center console with the rotary shift wheel.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I'm just wondering if I could go without all the features that I'd have to leave behind. V8, Heated windshield, fold flat seats, that Land Rover character, much nicer interior, split rear hatch...I know I'm leaving out a ton. Off road ability isn't too much of a concern, since either will do the off roading that I do around here just fine.

Man, I feel the same way. I have definitely kept my LR3 longer than planned, but as I round up to 190K miles, it is going strong and I just don't like anything else I see out there as much. I love the features you noted above (notably fold flat seating and the tailgate) and I care less about a plush inside.

Don't get me wrong, I want a nice quality interior but I do not need something that looks like Paris Hilton's rover. I want quality utility over plush luxury (wood and chrome). I think I'd have an LR4 now if they made a color green I like. I know, sounds like a small detail but I just hate the new green and have thought about what I would buy if I don't get another rover. I would survive fine with a blue one. :) I'm hoping the LR5 isn't too awful if I make it that far with my LR3...

There are so many upgrades in the LR4 that make it very different from the LR3. Big things like the 5.0 V8 and small things like no more squeaky door handles and so much more. Ours is a Lux, so the interior is beautiful with nicer leather and I like the heated steering wheel feature, especially this cold winter. Rear camera is helpful when the back is filed with gear. 875 watt stereo sounds good and nav screen is improved. So many features that overall it will feel like a different vehicle than your LR3....
Thanks!

That's the first time I've seen an LR3 owner comparison between the two. I'm sure it is here on the forum elsewhere, but I haven't seen it on the LR3 pages.

I usually buy new because I'm getting early model years of a new line or feature, but maybe in this case looking for a good quality 2013 Lux is the way to go. There is no telling when the LR5 will come out and if they really get rid of the tailgate or fold flat seating...I'm out.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Paul, your info leads me to a different line of questioning. Aside from the creature comforts and of course the engine does the LR4 feel any different on the road? Specifically steering, suspension, noise level? Cruising down the highway at 75, can you tell the difference from one to the other?

I definitely do like them although I think they might be too blingy on the outside for me. If I got one, I'd look into blacking out all the shiny bits, figuring out how to get smaller rims, getting the black plastic fenders from LR3 replacing tail lights with LR3 etc...

Speaking of redesign, I like the 2010-2014 center console appearance, but isn't there significantly less space to put 'stuff'? They completely got rid of that big space that was under the ash tray/cig lighter.

vince217

Reaction score
how about an FJ cruiser? I think they were discontinued last year, so you would only be able to purchased a used one.

or a Discovery Sport?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
roverman, the steering & suspension on the LR3 & LR4 are the same. However, the LR4 is quieter, must have more sound insulation.

Yes, 2010-2013 do have less dash storage space than the LR3 but you can make it work. In 2014, dash storage was really reduced due to the rotary shift knob.

But like I said, they fixed so many little things - door locks and power seat memory buttons are high on the driver door. Fold-flat outside mirrors, more intermittent wiper speeds, better interior lighting, etc.

If you want less bling, find one with the black package. And you will want to keep the brighter LED taillights that never need new bulbs.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...I definitely do like them although I think they might be too blingy on the outside for me. If I got one, I'd look into blacking out all the shiny bits, figuring out how to get smaller rims, getting the black plastic fenders from LR3 replacing tail lights with LR3 etc...
Agreed again! I think we are looking for the same car. I'll be curious to see what you settle on.

I never did understand the painted painted wheel fenders on an off-road vehicle. Why not keep the part that sticks out, plastic. It is the most likely part to touch branches and such. Ahhhh, I'm probably preaching to the choir and most of you have already gotten over it...

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99