Whats up with the lifetime Auto Transmission Fluid?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow....150k is gonna bring a lot of fluid changes! Sounds like an expensive service interval.

kwlr3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just changed my transmission fluid and filter at 80,000 miles. I would say that unless you really do a lot of towing, you can stick to the 10 year 150,000 mile service interval. The old oil wasn't that bad, not as clear as new and smelled worse but nothing like old engine oil and new oil. I was interested to see if there was any debris in the filter. The filter is built into the pan, a one piece plastic finned sump with two big magnets. There was a slight amount of fillings around the magnets but nothing like what I found on the differential magnets.

Changing the fluid is the hardest fluid change to do on an LR3 but not too difficult. The tranny cross member needs to be removed. To do that you need to support the tranny with a jack. After the cross member is removed, the tranny needs to be lifted about another inch or more so that the pick up tube on the filter/sump/pan can be pulled down out of the tranny. To do this safely, the whole frame should be supported by four jack stands. You don't want the air suspension to adjust while the engine and transmission are held up by a jack. Unless you have a well equipped shop, this might be a job left to a professional. There is nothing special about the transmission, any shop that works on European cars should know the unit ( a 6HP26 I think).

It takes 6 quarts of the LR specific fluid at about $28.00 each.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had two audis with 5 speed zf trannys. Again fluid was claimed to be lifetime. Changed both at 100K both times the fluid much darker and the pan was sludgy. I am planning on 100K for the LR.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so its probably best if one had access to a lift and a transmission jack

jimbiram

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did mine around 50k, as I do a lot of driving. I have 107k now, and will probably schedule it again soon. Also, all diffs too. If you do a lot of offroad driving, you put a lot more stress on the diffs and transmission. I do a lot of manual shifting as well, which is a lot. Funny, the dealer didn't even have the price code in their computer for an LR3 transmission fluid change when I did it, so he charged me what it is for the Disco's. That was over two years ago.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...only diff I haven't done now is the center.

LRB

Reaction score
My LR dealer here in Naperville, Il says they have a transmission kit that includes an aftermarket oil and filter that flushes the fluid. They have been doing them on jaguars and LRs for some time they say. The fluid is identical to Lr fluid and the kit is $179 plus labor. They told me to do it at 75k. This is much better than $30 a quart X12quarts for the OEM LR fluid. I have 72k on my 2005 LR3 V8 and plan on doing it soon.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You wouldn't happen to know what kind of after market oil they are using? I have 94k on mine and have serviced everything but the tranny. I drive a lot and play every chance I get. I am completely swamped with work and time is not on my side. I called another dealership in Houston today and they told me the same thing. We don't do that. I had a bit of an argument with him and told him its pretty lousy a dealership of that size and their service manager doesn't even know what the service manual says. So I am not really thrilled about them putting their hands on my car now. Obviously they have never serviced one and this is the largest LR and Jag dealer in Houston, TX. So what the hell, Right?

LRB

Reaction score
I do not know the name of the company that makes it but the dealer number is 630-753-1100 and ask for parts. They may be able to ship you the package.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72