What's with JLR?/Defender rant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone thinking the G isn't very capable due to stiff suspension is missing the reality that it's highly modifiable just like any D90/110. Additionally if a person has a 'few' extra dollars, LeTech can fit portals to the G in addition to insanely capable offroad spec suspension parts.

A DIY guy can even simply order taller springs and dampers for the G and use 35's under full articulation. I like as much interior space so ideally I'd have a D110 sized G550 but that doesn't exist easily.

All of you like me who appreciate solid bones should consider a G someday. Once these new IFS G's start filtering in the leased G550 twin turbo models will be 30% discount from new $. Still expensive but in some ways still a great value if you are the type to enjoy a 20 yr ownership and love the versatile platform.

Even the 2008 G55 is a great choice with the slightly updated dash yet simple things like cable handbrake and simpler supercharged engine. I prefer the slightly newer modernized versions just after that though with ventilated seats ;)

If I wanted to buy a car for it's interior, I'd buy a LWB Range Rover AB or BMW M6 etc.

The more I think about it, the more I feel like a G500 will probably be my next vehicle. Don't want the AMG variants, because I'll want the tow-pin front bumper.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I feel like a G500 will probably be my next vehicle. Don't want the AMG variants, because I'll want the tow-pin front bumper.
Land Rover thinks they can get more market share by building **** cars, meanwhile no body on frame vehicle means they turn market share over to Mercedes and Toyota.

I wonder what LR knows that Mercedes and Toyota do not?

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score

On pointed 3 or expedition portal G sections you can learn how even AMG variants get set up plenty fine with from pin etc. The bumper can actually work if a couple items behind it are relocated. Not too much effort for getting the AMG build. AMG isn't necessary though either. Just saying it can be done either way.

Now you can start wondering why, along with me, why you didn't just start with a G500 years ago. Ball swivel front hubs, easy lift via springs, 16" mercedes beadlocks of you like, gutter roof rail to load several hundred lbs safely, lockers already built in, mssive tire clearance, etc, etc, etc. Even a heated windscreen if you care like I do ;)

**** now I want one - this happens every time ;)

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't get one because they are rarer than hen's teeth around here, and ones in my price range are without warranty and I don't have a garage to work on a car in. I was worried about getting stuck with a window down and a blown regulator.

But damn. I want one anyway.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
KC MO! I spent a lot of time in KC in funky part of town near Volker bike shop.

dwizum

Reaction score
Land Rover thinks they can get more market share by building **** cars, meanwhile no body on frame vehicle means they turn market share over to Mercedes and Toyota.

I wonder what LR knows that Mercedes and Toyota do not?

I don't think it's fair to compare market strategies between LR and MB/Toyota.

MB and Toyota have a full vehicle lineup. There's a whole lot of diversity. That gives them stability and resourcing to go after niche products (like a "serious" off road vehicle) that a tiny brand like LR doesn't have. Especially when that niche is defined by mechanical ability, versus emotional response. Mechanics can be bought by a brand with enough money, emotional connection is really the only thing a small brand can survive on in the long term. And it's easier to compete on emotions in a market segment that's not defined by mechanical functionality (i.e. soccer moms wanting a "fancy" crossover).

LR needs to survive. Putting all their eggs in one basket, into a market niche that has some heavyweights competing against them, would be a mistake. If Toyota wants the "serious offroad" truck market, they're simply going to out-spend LR and get it.

Little brands - like LR, or Saab, for instance - can innovate quickly and get ahead of the competition, but once the market decides it wants to catch up, they either fail (Saab) or realize they need to find a mainstream audience that connects emotionally in order to survive (LR, hopefully).

Assuming LR does head in a more mainstream direction, and they're successful at it, it does put us purist fans at a crossroads. Are we really fans of serious offroad trucks? We'll end up owning Toyotas, Jeeps, G500s, whatever. Or are we fans of the marque? We'll end up owning a Discovery 5 or the next Defender. Can we be honest with ourselves about that?

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you Mtn bike much? Swope...

Just started again when I bought my RM Instinct at the beginning of October. Before that, it had been probably around 10 years since I rode. I actually live about 5 or 6 miles from Swope, but I frequent the Blue River Trails and WyCo more often. The KC area has done a phenomenal job of creating some relatively legit mountain bike trails all around town. Probably nothing like the PNW, but pretty good for the center of the continent.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just started again when I bought my RM Instinct at the beginning of October. Before that, it had been probably around 10 years since I rode. I actually live about 5 or 6 miles from Swope, but I frequent the Blue River Trails and WyCo more often. The KC area has done a phenomenal job of creating some relatively legit mountain bike trails all around town. Probably nothing like the PNW, but pretty good for the center of the continent.

I have a few friends there that are really fun mtb companions, and generally great people as well.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72