Wheel bearing wonder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As stated on vacation changing brake rotors and a frozen caliper on my 95. Surprise surprise removed hub on passenger side and found grease seal in backwards, that is cavity inward lip facing out. Plenty of grease in bearings and seal pushed against it. Surprised to see the wheel bearing were roller type and the cage and bearings fell right out. Had to pry old seal out. Took driver side apart and the bearings were drenched with my spindle housing oil and nothing else. Luckily no burn marks on rollers nor hub or maybe just a little. Anyway the seal was in correctly, that is lip side in and even with end of hub housing. So I'm thinking if the pressure from the spindle oil is greater than the grease I'll put em both in backwards. I bought this vehicle with low mileage 35000 and 2 yes old I feel it had to come with them installed this way. Embarringlessly I did install them both backwards. We'll keep an eye on them. Just feels good knowing I repacked both with a product I really belive in that amalie high temp. If any of you see a problem with this please let me know as I respect Joey's and others opinion. Ps I can't say I like the knew sythetic castrol brake fluid seems a bit spongy. Maybe I just got it in my head. Well back to my working vacation.cruise control here I come.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
IMHO, sounds like you did good.

As far as the swivel grease/oil getting into the bearing, this sounds like the inner seal may be bad.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The inner seal or as they call it the constant velocity shaft seal defenitely has to be leaking. I'm just hoping the grease keeps it at bay for awhile. Thinking about giving up on the 80/90 in the swivel housings anyway just somewhat afraid of heat buildup. Still cannot get over the right side outer seal in backward failed to mention with the hub off I slid the seal over the stub axle and it fit perfectly. Tried putting it on with the cavity side toward the stub axle and it would not go. Sure wish the kit came with the cv shaft seal.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I always switch to the RTC 3511 double lip hub seals. The stock seals are designed with priority to keeping the grease in, rather than crap out, of the hubs. If you never off-road that's fine, but I want both. Lube in, water etc out.

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Good thought on the double lip....

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Silly question. Where would I buy a double lip seal? Makes good sense as I do a bit of wading to get to my favorite rocks. So far by the way I have had no leaks in 400 miles since I replaced the seals. Want to buy these seals so I can pull the hubs apart in a couple months to reinspect. Like to use them in the rear axle as well. Made sense to put the original in backward to keep water out.

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any of the parts houses should have the RTC3511 seals. They were used on the Defenders.

Maddie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks again for the part number Tom, I'll get four of them ordered.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo