Wheel Color Opinions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Despite arguing with myself about this:stupid:, and really not wanting too, I am going to power coat my 20" split spoke. I was going to use PlastiDIP but have had some very conflicting reviews. since it will be used for trail riding 2-3 weekend a year TOPS I am worried what the finish will look like.

However I am torn on the color; I have a Black on Black LR4, and I am thinking that gloss black might be a bit much.
So I am debating between a matte black, and a satin black.
Anyone have any experience with either finish on wheels?
I am worried the matte may look too "industrial" on a gloss black vehicle.

May be i'm thinking this through too much :albertein, but I do know I do not like the silver wheels with the direction I am heading, looks wise anyways.

Any and all opinions are welcomed :confused:

GoLoaf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How about glossy gun metal? The look would be meaner than the typical silver, but you wouldn't be getting into the full black-out mode that you'd have otherwise.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know, I always thought gloss black would be a bit much myself, but when I took delivery of my red LR4 with the gloss black wheels part of the Black package, I had to admit they looked damn sharp. They were off almost immediately and replaced with 18" Compos (in satin black, which I prefer because they look more utilitarian when paired with chunky A/T tires, and don't show dirt from brakes dust nearly as quick as a gloss finish), but gloss black - especially on 20" with a black car, look really really good.

Last edited:

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Umber, I do have the Cooper Zeon LTZ, do think that is "chunky"? I am leaning more towards the Satin finsh just from looking at the wheel finishes using my google-fu.

Here is a pic with the gloss black (same wheel)
This is not my pic, it was taken from here
http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-178964052/theautowerks/photos/ig-868791723378038611_178964052

It's not a bad look but looks too soccer momish (for me) with the gloss black on gloss black.

Also whatever finish the wheels are done in will be also carried over to the front and side grills

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    88.9 KB · Views: 49

oclr4

Reaction score
I would definitely not do matte black wheels on a glossy black vehicle. I think contrasting the wheels to the paint of the car is a good idea. Plasti dip is not the route I would go, I would have my wheels professionally painted or powdercoated. A darker graphite or titanium or charcoal color would be nice. Look at some of the lexus sport car wheel finishes as an example.

chinochulo

Reaction score
I have always seen the gloss black wheels as douchie, so I prefer matte black or any matte dark color wheel.

BearishDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I vote for matte gun metal or a very dark grey. I too think matte colour looks a bit better.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
... I have a Black on Black LR4, and I am thinking that gloss black might be a bit much.
So I am debating between a matte black, and a satin black.
Anyone have any experience with either finish on wheels?
I am worried the matte may look too "industrial" on a gloss black vehicle.

May be i'm thinking this through too much :albertein, but I do know I do not like the silver wheels with the direction I am heading, looks wise anyways.
:

Better to think a lot about it now than be remorseful after spending $100 per wheel.

I've had a few sets powdercoated and have used a grade of "satin". Be aware there are levels of "satin" in how much gloss is in there. Also keep in mind that unless you constantly wash the wheels, even a high gloss will LOOK sating after a couple weeks anyway. So, consider that most of the time, glossy would look drab, not too flashy, but if/when you want to detail the vehicle and have it look ready for valet at the opera, it will actually look the part. - if that's something you can appreciate. I have one more set to get done and will probably try it for the heck of it or maybe at least on my bmw where it can look quite snazzy when cleaned up but honestly most of the time, the brake dust and general road crud make any shinny wheel not too sparkly. ;)

Let's see if I can dig up a photo for you though. My lr3 is black outside no silver trim anywhere.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is not my pic, it was taken from here
http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-178964052/theautowerks/photos/ig-868791723378038611_178964052

It's not a bad look but looks too soccer momish (for me) with the gloss black on gloss black.

Also whatever finish the wheels are done in will be also carried over to the front and side grills

Oh, that photo, GOOD GRIEF, people go through all this trouble and then roll off with the silver lugs nuts!?????? ;)

Gorilla nuts or something like that has forged ones for the land rovers in black anodized. on Ebay you can find reasonably priced black (for the supercharged models) hub center caps. do NOT spend $25 each at the dealer.

nope, can't upload. not sure how to on this goofy forum format.

Last edited:

Biagetti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used satin black paint and think it's a good fit with the gloss black exterior. The first picture shows the wheels dirty after a month of dust and the second picture is pretty clean.

I vote satin black for you!

Attachments

• 20150417_171949.jpg
    20150417_171949.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 20141117_154020.jpg
    20141117_154020.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 41

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads