Whistling sound in 03 Disco II

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

C

Chadster

Hoping to get some guidance here since LR cannot give me a good answer. My 2003 Discovery II is making what I describe as "whistling sounds" at highway speeds. The best way I can describe it is to compare it to a cheap aftermarket radio that "revs" with your engine. When I'm going over 50MPH it is noticeable and seems to follow the gas pedal....when I let off the gas the sound goes away.....this happens both with the radio on and off. I initially thought I had a short in my radio. LR says they do not hear anything unusual.

I've had the truck for almost two years. I've lived with it, but it's grading on my nerves at this point. Any ideas?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Roof rack?

Or any add ons? Brush guard, lights.

Unfortunatly most noises are normal...

C

Chadster

Hey Joey,

Thanks for the reply. Anyway, the truck is a 03 Disco II SE7. I do have the poly nerf brush package, but the truck was making this sound from day one with no accessories.

It's really odd. At highway speeds you just hear a high pitched "frequency" sound of some sort. I call it a whistle. When you let off the gas, it goes away, gradually get back on the gas at highway speeds and it comes back! LR Cincinnati drove it and said they heard some normal transfer case noise, but I can't imagine that is it.

By the way, Are you in West Virginia? If so, I've heard of great places to off road for 4x4's and also motocross......I do both. Looking for more places near my home in Kentucky.

Thanks again.

Chad

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Yep I am in West Virginia... north of Charleston.

I can't hear my Transfer case anymore... exhaust is too loud. But I do recall hearing something way back when, and unfortunatly it is normal. But I would still check the gear oil levels in the Diffs and the Transfer case to be sure.... and it never hurts to change them and add synthetic oil.

Hudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask them to go on a test drive with you to verify the noise. They won't fix anything they can't prove wrong.

M

millermatt2003

I have a Disco I, and I get a high pitched whine at highway speeds as well, which I am assuming is the transfer case whine I read about in a lot of magazine reviews of the Discos. Mine is only audible with all windows closed, and radio off. Turn on the radio (even at a low volume) or crack a window and the whine can't really be heard anymore.

Jaak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 Disco SE-7 ... sounds almost like the radio needs a filter to filter out the alt. noise. I got used to it and it seems to come and go. I have 42,000 KMs on the clock and at 48,000 KMs the fluids get changed. I will upgrade to synthetic at that time. I just pay the difference between dino oil and synthetic ... complimentary service according to the dealership!!!

J

jpperry

I have a 2001 Disco II that acts similarly. I would describe the noise the same as you have, whistle that almost sounds like electrical interference. Mine will only make this noise if the heat is on and blowing hot. It is most predominant while accelerating or if I hit a bump in the road (not hard to do in Michigan). It is annoying. I haven't brought it to the dealer yet but plan to do so soon, if they tell me anything I will let you know. Any suggestions on this?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635