Who Has Changed Transmission Fluid????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ryan, what did the dealer charge you to change the fluid?

ryan-in-oregon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking back at the service invoice it looks like it was covered under warranty. They also did a transmission module update.

samnt650

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the LR3 uses the same trany oil as BMW ZF, or LA2634 or LT71141? Based on "HellPie" write-up, it appear the drain & fill process is "identical" to BMW ZF (which is quite easy DYI process). Thanks...

wcryer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my dealer today, he quoted 550 over the phone to change the tranny fluid. But also said they dont touch them til 150K. I was talking to another guy about his bmw (similar lifetime tranny fluid), his dealer echoed similar opinions (dont do it until 150K) but also that sometimes its not worth the trouble it could cause? The guy said he didnt ask what the dealer meant by that, so I wonder what could possibly be an issue? (maybe what Houm_WA was talking about?) I would be interested to see a detailed walk through or "article" of the correct steps to do it.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I asked my service manager about it again. I'll echo his sentiments here when he gets back to me.

hell pie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The LR3 doesn't have a transmission fluid dipstick. To check the fluid level, you have to get under the vehicle. Here are the official instructions for checking the fluid level. As mentioned in the directions, the car must be idling in order for the fluid to be checked. Otherwise, fluid will accumulate in the transmission oil pan and spill out when you unscrew the filler cap.

Here are the directions for changing the transmission fluid. The instructions mention removing the transmission undershield, which is held in place by six bolts. I don't know if mine is missing, but I definitely don't have that part. The transmission pan is wedged in near some of the exhaust pipes, a cross member, and the drive shaft, which makes it difficult to get to both the filler and drain plugs.

The transmission oil recommended in the LR3 manual is Shell M1375.4, which is seems to be more of a technical spec rather than an actual product. Our ZF transmission is the 6HP26, which is not unique to Land Rover; it is also used in BMWs, Jaguars, and many other cars. However, there are claims that the transmission fluid used in the LR3 is specifically formulated for our vehicle, to achieve optimal fuel efficiency, temperature, along with perhaps a special blend of additives. In any event, after doing some internet "research", I felt that Pentosin ATF1 was a good match for the LR3 transmission, possibly being even the OEM fluid manufacturer.

The dealer fluid easily costs more that $25 a liter, and with a transmission fluid change requiring at least 4 bottles, this is the most expensive fluid change for the LR3. The internet is filled with all sorts of opinions about the ZF gearbox, with some saying not to use anything else but the dealer fluids at the risk of transmission failure. There was even a Land Rover tech on another forum saying not to DIY with the LR3 transmission fluid change, claiming how critical it is to hook up the dealer diagnostic computer to make sure the fluid is between 30 and 50 degrees Celsius, at risk of underfilling or overfilling the transmission. I feel that 30 to 50 degrees C is wide enough of a range to allow the home mechanic to do the fluid change.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All that just to check the fluid level....***. is there a warning light for low transmission fluid?

aussie

Reaction score
I've just had my transmission oil changed at 110,0000 kilometres and it's VERY smooth now - the changes are definitely better. It's worth getting it done, a broken tranny can be very $$$$$. The oil used is ZF Life Gard 6.
cheers.

joka_wood

Reaction score
Hell Pie, I tried to follow the links you provided to check transmission fluid, etc. and they are not working. I sure would like to see that gallery!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflint2112