Who has slept in their LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd love to hear more about this trip to Alta? What were the prohibitive weather conditions? What time of year? I've been as far north as Whitehorse, but that was in March; only saw -17F overnight.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I am about to camp out in my LR3 , I would like to hear from those who slept inside in rainy conditions , as leaving windows open on clear, bugs free nights seem easy enough. I don't mind cold nights , don't need to warm up my cabin at all, just wanted to get some input from rainy day campers,, which could be challenging t times, considering mesh on windows will not really shed water and knowing how water tight our cabin is , I don't want to be attacked by carbon monoxide . Please elaborate...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As I am about to camp out in my LR3 , I would like to hear from those who slept inside in rainy conditions , as leaving windows open on clear, bugs free nights seem easy enough. I don't mind cold nights , don't need to warm up my cabin at all, just wanted to get some input from rainy day campers,, which could be challenging t times, considering mesh on windows will not really shed water and knowing how water tight our cabin is , I don't want to be attacked by carbon monoxide . Please elaborate...
I don't look at LR3 camping as a planned solution for more than a night or two, for me it as a good alternative. If you already know you'll be camping for days it can be annoying to have all your luggage in there with you to keep it out of the rain, knowing you'll also be using the vehicle during the day and such. But that's up to you of course. I'd put up a tent if I was staying in a location. Maybe if you are moving every day, though, the convenience of not setting up a tent would win out.

That said, yes, it will get stuffy if it is all closed up. If you are not worried about bugs, just rain, you can crack the sunroof. As long as your back is not facing the wind, you should stay dry and any rain that should drain from the roof will flow out the gutters (sunroof drain tubes). On the off chance you get stuck in a torrential downpour you'll be woken up anyway and can just close it up for the duration. Nothing to worry about.

But yes, any time I've slept in the LR3 I crack a window somewhere just to get some fresh air in.

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that! What if you're a heavy sleeper and by the time the torrent of rain wakes you up, your console is soaking wet? That area is susceptible to water damage.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is opening a sun roof safe during a rain , I don't know , what I do know , that from our long, long ,long forum experience , it does NOT end good in most cases, as we all know it.
I will be camping in the dense woods , along the trails, that we are about to tackle on the Thanksgiving weekend . Opening a roof will not work for two reasons , most likely rain and falling leaves and debris from above.
I will probably open a rear upper hatch, partially, securing it with a fixed bracket or bungee cord for the night .It looks like two nights , the most, so nothing very long in plans.I could throw a 6x8 tarp over rear part of the LR3 creating a waterproof awning .May even bring along a small carbon monoxide detector for the piece of mind, They won't be much room for pitching a tent where we going .
As for leaving all my stuff outside, I will pack everything in my pelican cases and secure them on my PRoSpeed roof rack , let bears and coyotes have at them, see what happens .:wink:

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is an even better sleeping solution when raining or snowing. What CO? Unless you have removed your cats you are safe. bring a smoke/CO detector with you if concerned. I have slept in sub 0 weather with the engine running heat on, and was only worried about a transmission line or coolant line failure leading to an engine fire. My window screen solution allows the vertical windows to be open 1-100%. At 60% closed no rain has ever comes in mine, but if it worries you put some press-n-seal over the rear window switches at night.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is an even better sleeping solution when raining or snowing. What CO? Unless you have removed your cats you are safe. bring a smoke/CO detector with you if concerned. I have slept in sub 0 weather with the engine running heat on, and was only worried about a transmission line or coolant line failure leading to an engine fire. My window screen solution allows the vertical windows to be open 1-100%. At 60% closed no rain has ever comes in mine, but if it worries you put some press-n-seal over the rear window switches at night.

Who the hell brings a cat along on a road trip ?

;)

Better to use a proper sleeping bag rated for the temps. Engine running is nuts.

Doesn't anyone use the rain deflectors at the top of the window???? I leave mine open 2" all the time when in-car camping as well as on hot summer days. At 1" you wouldn't even notice it's open from the outside from several feet away.

For bugs, I bought a set of window screens from the UK. They are mainly for privacy and fit all 5 rear windows but they also have small enough mesh for all but the tiny "no-see-ums". The privacy aspect is quite nice though and they can just be left in place all the time if desired.

While those home-made screens probably worked well, I wouldn't want to put an exterior screen on because that would be the opposite of "stealth". I like that most of the time it looks like it's just a vehicle at a trail head.

I've probably slept in this lr3 about 50 times and more than that in my old Disco 1 both on an elevated area with whatever gear underneath.

whydahdvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, jumping in.... I've slept in most of my vehicles - but only when necessary. I much prefer sleeping outside under the stars. If rain is a concern factor just use a tent. Most tents, small pup-tent types, are super simple to set up. If wind isn't much on an issue you don't even have to use the stakes. But a good sleeping bag is critical, as well as the right clothing.
And you can always use the awning set-up with your tent entrance facing your vehicle to have a decent sized protected space when you get out of the tent and access your gear.
But then I like to travel light too so, up to you.
I've never ever worried about CO poisoning when sleeping in a vehicle, as long as it wasn't running. But I guess that depends if anyone joining you had a lot of beans for dinner that night... :)

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't do that! What if you're a heavy sleeper and by the time the torrent of rain wakes you up, your console is soaking wet? That area is susceptible to water damage.
I usually check the weather forecast and know if a torrential downpour is likely.

How is opening a sun roof safe during a rain...:
The vent setting, when you first push the button and the roof just pops up in the back. That's what I'm talking about. Falling debris is no problem. Light rain is no problem. I've done this several times with no issue. But again, depends on the forecast and I suspect you can also just crack multiple windows (small cracks) just enough to let air in but small enough crack to keep rain out.

I also do this anytime I leave the dog in the car. (calm down people, I'm not talking hot weather, but I do make sure she has fresh air)
Who the hell brings a cat along on a road trip ?

;)
HA!

Doesn't anyone use the rain deflectors at the top of the window???? I leave mine open 2" all the time when in-car camping as well as on hot summer days. At 1" you wouldn't even notice it's open from the outside from several feet away.
Yeah, if you have those that is the best solution posted.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys,.Just to clarify things...I am a avid hiker and camper .I have slept in numerous conditions ,from hot ,humid nights in my tent to a -40 outside on just a collapsible cot with NO tent , I just never had a desire to sleep in my LR3 until now, when morning fast packing will be all the essence and my three person and no see um two person bivee does not look cozy enough for a VT cold nights, just wanted to try something new to me, what all my LR enjoyed for years, in terms for a speedy camp set up.
As far as rain or wind deflectors , I can see three manufactures , Genuine, WeatherTech and WELL visors, which ones do you guys have and are they worth the 100 bucks or not ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo