Who has slept in their LR3?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
I'm thinking of doing a two night solo camping trip out in the desert. Nothing too remote or dangerous. It may be sort of warm at night, so I'm planning on making the window screen w/ magnetic strip thing for ventilation.

I'm lazy and I don't want to take out the car seats and blow up an airbed, so who here is over six feet tall and can tell me how much headroom is left over if you sleep in the back of the LR3?

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have heard of guys fitting a full size inflatable mattress back there. Just lay down and see. you have a screen for the sunroof. Hot air rises. Good idea magnet on screen for the doors.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've slept in the back a bunch w/ nothing but a sleeping bag or a sheet. I'm 6'2" and have plenty of space. Have even slept back there with one of the 2nd row seats in the up position and still had room.

Yeah, my only concern would be screening for bugs as it could get stuffy in there otherwise. If you are in a buggy place, I wouldn't count on the sunroof screen as it is open on the sides. If it is really hot you will actually need some ventilation, not just one open window. So rig for big screens or see what is in the battery powered fan market.

This is one of the very few SUVs with true fold FLAT seats. One of the reasons I bought it. Rather than mess with an air mattress, grab a piece of old carpet. It should be enough to stretch you over the crack in the seats and cover up any hard plastic bits.

Enjoy.

Mhaise57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are these magnetic screens something you can buy? If its not something on the market that could be a great idea. Oh and an air matress works fine. Just lay in out with your seats down then blow it up. Don't blow it up before and fight it. I would suggest these. I have two of them and they have littereally been around the world with me. Best piece of gear I have ever purchased.
http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.com/double-insect.html

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think he is making some screens with magnetic vinyl. It would be very easy to put 4 of them together. If some one wants some I could make some up.

gtc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, there are definitely magnetic screens available for just this purpose. I don't have a link handy, but they can be found with a google search!

schafari

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have slept in the LR3 multiple times. I have even done it with two people. (One being a 4 year old however. Length is fine. It is totally flat. Don't forget to keep the cargo cover in the truck. It fills the gap between the folded seats when the sets are down.

I made up two different sets of screens for the back windows. One large set is for the day. One small set is for night. They fit right into the window casing securely. You can also leave the tailgate hatch window latched, but only on the first click. This leaves a gap which air can pass. You can even lock and arm the alarm with this gap. You can't then open the hatch, but it still has that gap.

I also made curtains the fit in the windows that attach with suction cups. These cover all but the front window. That is covered by a Car Craft insulated windshied shade.

You can fashion additional ventilation via a standard PC computer fan. They run on 12v. Many also have low, med, high, switches built right into them. They are very quiet. Antec makes some quiet 120mm ones with the switches built in. I use one of those on occasion.

All you need is a sleeping pad. You don't need an air mattress or the like.

Keep in mind to try to park on a level spot, both front to back and side to side.

It is pretty cool with the alpine glass roof to look up at the stars, trees, etc.

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do it fairly often when I don't have my family with me. I'm 6'-7", and fit okay. Quite comfy. I have the front seats pushed up a bit, and everything folded flat in the rear, and sorta sleep on a diagonal. Mike, you aren't that tall, you'll be fine. It helps to have a roof rack to toss all the stuff that was in the back up on top.

The side screens would be nice on hot days, but the screen for the sunroof works reasonably well as it is.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
I'm not that tall? You're right, I'm not that tall... compared to you, you genetic freak. I'm plenty tall compared to "normal" people. ;-)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM