Winch bumper options (?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
ColeCam said:
Sam's Off-Road has ARBs for approx. $750 delivered

Believe me, if it was that cheap to get it to Canada I would do it. I think I will watch for a used one in Canada.

I did find an interesting option from Devon 4x4, it's a low profile winch bumper (no bull bar) that is "only a little heavier than the stock bumper". They haven't responded yet with exactly how much heavier it is.

I'll drop Sam's a msg to see what they want to ship to Canada.

Thanks
Shawn

E

Errant

Shawn,

Have you looked at the under bumper winch mount available from DAP? This sounds more like what you're after. I was actually considering the same thing, but my Disco fund has been eaten up by repairs rather than add-ons lately.

300zxtt2+2

Reaction score
Errant said:
Have you looked at the under bumper winch mount available from DAP?

Never seen it before. That thing looks cool. Does anyone know if it would get in the way if you want to add a steering skid guard later?

Thanks for pointing it out to, so far that's the best for what I'm after.

Shawn

ColeCam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry...I forgot you were in Canada....only problem with below mount systems is that they are below the bumper so your ground clearance is less and if you get stuck in mud, they are not as easy to get the cable out... but for what you are needing it for it might work...
Not to completely wear you out, but in central US there are hundreds of good fabricators who work on everything from oil rigs to combines etc. that are really good and cheap and have made me diamondplate bumpers that look as good or better than ARBs, maybe there is someone in your area that has the skills and reasonable prices that will just make you exactly what you want for half the price? It is worth a shot to ask around, getting good deals is half the fun (it doesn't sound like you need it tomorrow).... if you go to an actual 4x4 shop though it would be much more. Just another idea. Have fun with it and let us know what you settle on :)

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One other thing to consider. Mike mentioned adding a suspension to handle the winch. This is definitely worth considering. Adding the weight of a winch and bumper/DAP mount your front will drop at least an inch on stock springs. Im not saying you need to rush out and get aftermarket springs/shocks, but it would be a huge plus. Another way would be to add a couple of ruberized spring isolators. The front on my D1 dropped about 1/2 inch when I added a RTE bumper and Warn XD9000i. Adding a spring isolator and spring retainer will yielded almost an inch. Not real expensive either and they help smooth the ride some. If you have a DII, you already have the retainer, but you could add one isolator on top, one on bottom of each spring.

https://www.expeditionexchange.com/kit/

here's a pic of a friend with the DAP kit. I was impressed with the kit and looked real nice tucked under the truck. The brush guard took a beating though

Attachments

• DSC02079.JPG
    DSC02079.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 51

Ares

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the DII in the pic above has OME springs/shocks

Here's a shot of my baby with the RTE and warn version. OME HD spring/shocks.

Attachments

• DSC02090.JPG
    DSC02090.JPG
    91.3 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99