Window Regulator Fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JoeMazzio

Reaction score
Hello,

I had my Driver Side Front window regulator break. This is more accurately what happened and my fix.

There are 3 SPOTWELDS that hold the 1/2 moon shaped gear to the regulator arm. This gear is what meshs with the gear of the motor and drives the window up. The 3 spotwelds failed and the gear completely fell off.

I drilled out the 3 spotwelds using the marks that were left behind on both the 1/2 moon gear and the arm of the regulator as guides for both placement and thickness of drill bit.

I used 3 flat head screws and locking nuts, I tried to use a washer but it turned out to be too thick to clear the scissor action of the regulator. After securing the 3 bolts I ground down both sides of the 3 anchors so that they would be as close to flush as possible allowing for the smoothest travel of the regulator arms and the meshing of the teeth of the gears. I used a hand held electric grinder and worked well. The total time it took me to do this was less than 20mins. This was a really easy fix, it actually doesn't take much skill, all you have to plan it out.

I have also noticed that both nylon/plastic wheels can be replaced, I will post the details of that operation later. The passenger side isn't going up very smoothly so I want to be preventative.

Any questions, please feel free to email me. I will try to get some pics of what I did.

Joe

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM