Wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bruno56

Reaction score
Just bought a discovery tdi .It's been standing fof several years ,was running but the battery went flat.I changed the battery but it wont start .
Thanks in anticipation Mr Ignorant:stupid:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having sat as long as it dir, you should have started with fresh fuel, additive and a fully charged battery.
Is the engine turning over and not starting or is it not doing anything?

bruno56

Reaction score
It's a diesel that has been started ,but not driven ,on a regular basis..
The battery died and when it was changed I think the anti theft went into action.
I do not know how to re-set this
Mr Knowsfirkhall

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Starting/security system

Had the same prob with my '97 gas engine. Try disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes to allow everything to reset. :biggrin:

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not disconnect the battery. I am not sure why people think that is the cure all for everything but it is not.

Donjames911

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"Do not disconnect the battery. I am not sure why people think that is the cure all for everything but it is not."

Didn't say it was a cure-all, but it worked for me. It was recommended by Joey, a name you probably recognize Mike. Are there problems with disconnecting the battery that I am unaware of? They all have to be disconnected sooner or later....:hello:

Moneymakesscents

Reaction score
Hey I changed water pump and now I have no leaks but I drive then service soon light comes on and vehicle cuts off I wait for few then light goes off and starts again

antichrist

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bacteria and fungus grow in diesel fuel.
If it's been sitting for several years and the fuel hasn't been refreshed on a regular basis (or treated) then it could very well be that the fuel filter is clogged up from the bacteria/fungus.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey I changed water pump and now I have no leaks but I drive then service soon light comes on and vehicle cuts off I wait for few then light goes off and starts again

Go start your own thread, don't add a topic, unrelated to the current one.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99