Would you buy another one?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drzjoint

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would buy one again. I looked at everything before we got the LR3 and I had to drag my wife in to look at it. She fell in love with it. Yes I do take it off road and it is a blast, But I did not buy it for that at all. the interior cargo room is heads and tails above the others the huge windows and visability is great. a wonderfull 3rd row even an adult can sit in if need be. it is easy to get back there as wel due to the flip n folding seats. the adjustable air suspension is awsome when you have to pick up a vertically challenged mother. I bought the LR3 with no intention to take it off road and was verry sceptical about its abilities off road, Lets face it the little course they take you on is just ok, although my wife was impressed and felt safer. I had planed to go for low profile rims and **** it out. Then I found a few LR forums like this one and saw what people were dooing on the trail so I had to strech its legs. Very impressive for a basicly stock vehicle. So I say just give her what she wants. Plus it always makes your life happier.

steve c

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We purchased one of the first 05 SE7 LR3's to arrive in Denver. No issues with that truck at all. It replaced a series II Disco SE7 that had a faulty MAF as the only real problem I can recall in 40k miles.

I replaced the 05 with an 08 HSE and outside of a really annoying seat memory problem the truck has been solid. So yes, I have and will continue to purchase another. In a couple of years we will no doubt have an LR4 in the garage.

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with keeping the wife happy. I had a 2008 Yukon Denali for 6 days. The worst 6 days of my life, the wife hated it! She fell in love with the LR3 as did I and I was able to trade in the Yukon for our LR3 and get what I paid for it. I've had it 1 year and put 27k miles on it so far with minor issues. Would def buy another, actually she loves my car so much she wanted one herself. Had to convince her we don't need of them and settled on a MB for her.

Learth

Reaction score
Interesting about the Denali. My decision came down to Denali vs. LR3. NOt intersted so much in off road use. My requirements were: Cargo space, luxury, 4x4 for the snow, good exterior looks and fold flat 3rd row. I honestly liked the Denali better, but in the end no fold flat 3rd row and 2nd row captain's seats instead of bench were the deal killer.

I am REALLY happy with the LR3. Great choice. I am just hoping I don't have major problems with the fact. warranty expires.

Huel, just curious, what did your wife hate about the Denali?

huelsmma

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. she hated how big it felt inside, distnace between driver and passenger, she would have never driven it. she 5'3" 105lbs so it was a beast for her. 2. she hates having running boards on cars 3. it fit in the garage was wider than the LR3 is and she couldnt park her car in the garage with the Denali. 4. i couldnt stand the fold down 3rd row and not being able to store it anywhere because of its size. the lr3 hasnt seen offroad yet besides me purposely driving through big mud holes in medians.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, I would buy the LR3 again, but still have fond memories of the Q7 it replaced. We had the Q7 for a little over a year. Q7 drives and handles like a bigger A4. 4.2 engine is a blast. Quiet when driven normally with a great growl and rocket acceleration at high RPMs. Same smooth HP26 transmission as the LR3. Downside was driving the Q7 on a nearby beach. Had to be careful to maintain momentum or it sank and the ESP that could not be shut off would not allow you to spin the wheels a little to get moving again. LR3 is amazing on the same beach. We have come to really appreciate the third row seating - best of any mid-size SUV. And it's a great long distance hauler when going skiing. Just wish Land Rover bought their engines from Audi, not Jaguar.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
steve c - the only problem we have had with our '08 HSE LR3 is the memory seats as well. (The main reason I bought the HSE over the SE) It changes seat positions or just totally forgets memory settings. Had the module replaced and it still has a poor memory.

rpxr400

Reaction score
Thanks to all. I appreciate the feedback. Responses are overwhelmingly "Yes".
We'll take a ride and check them out, see how it goes from there.

kingfishgrapeja

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having owned 4 audis, and frequenting those forums for the past decade I've actually been pretty impressed with the lack of problem threads on the LR3.

So much so infact that I am on the fence about getting an extended warranty but I do have a year or so of factory left.

The main maintenance issues that may surprise you over say a domestic vehicle is that that you are only going to get 30K out of your brakes and probably your tires as well. Tires are pricey and brakes can be if you go to the dealer.

Brakes can be DIY or done by an indy. There is nothing special to them other than the electric parking brake but that is probably every 60K or so from what I've read.

The Jag engine in this is based on a proven block that is in tons of fords and other vehicles. I haven't heard any transmission horror stories yet. I have yet to find a car with flawless air suspension and I've owned three now. My 93 lincoln mark vII was far superior to my 03 audi allroad though and I'm hoping for similar performance from the LR3. I am very confident in the actual systems that may actually strand you.

Most problem posts I've read since I joined in august seem to be linked to electrical quirks caused by weak batteries. Easy DIY and not terribly expensive.

The ride and versatility will likely hook you on the LR3 regardless of where you drive it.

As for the reliability, If you've owned high end european cars in the past, you will likely be pleasantly surprised. If you've owned mid level nissans, hondas, and toyotas, you likely will have more problems with the LR3.

At 5 months of ownership right now I've had far less problems than any of the audis at the same point in time and I like the LR3 more than the day I bought it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4