[YATT (yet another tire thread)] Road noise question for street tire vs A/T tire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wildewinds

Reaction score
Currently have the exceptionally fast wearing Nexen Roadian on the LR3. About to purchase a new set of tires, but I'm concerned about road noise if I go for an all terrain tire.

Right now I'm looking at the Firestone Destination A/T or the Goodyear SilentArmor A/T if I go for the all-terrain route.

If I go for more of a street tire, I'm looking at the BFGoodrich Rugged Terrain T/A, which is billed as a "tire option that fits between mild Highway All-Season on-road tires and more aggressive On-/Off-Road All-Terrain tires, the Rugged Terrain T/A combines a bold off-road appearance along with on-road appeal by blending aggressive looks with pleasant ride qualities, low noise and year-round traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions." Which sounds ideal for me, but I don't know if it's hype. It's a new tire, so not a lot of reviews on it yet.

I go off-road maybe 5-6 times a year, so 99% of my driving is on pavement... but I still want a tire that can handle the off-road excursions... as long as it's not a big sacrifice to road noise.

So... will those off-road tires be noticeably louder than a regular street tire? Has anyone tried the BFGoodrich Rugged Terrains yet?

CMGRover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Terra Grapplers on both my vehicles are dead silent almost. Not any louder than a street tire, IMO.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM