Yet Another Stupid Tire Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses.

Peter, thorgal and PaulLR3 - How would you compare the Nokian WRG2's performance, ride quality, nose and MPG with the Contis on dry paved roads?

Lone Star - how do the Michelins perform in the snow?

I don't want any tire that is a bigger size or gets worse mpg, like the Goodyears, but thanks.

chinochulo

Reaction score
I just installed Nokian WRG2s. They seem to ride stiffer than the contis. Got them though because my contis could not make it up a mild 20 degree grade with fresh snow on the ground. Stopping in snow with contis was a nightmare--all my stops have a little "slide" at the end. Can't wait to try the WRG2s in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lone Star landy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Peter, thorgal and PaulLR3 - How would you compare the Nokian WRG2's performance, ride quality, nose and MPG with the Contis on dry paved roads?

I don't want any tire that is a bigger size or gets worse mpg, like the Goodyears, but thanks.

Unfortunately, I have never had them on snow. I live in Houston, so not many snow opportunities haha

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just installed Nokian WRG2s. They seem to ride stiffer than the contis. Got them though because my contis could not make it up a mild 20 degree grade with fresh snow on the ground. Stopping in snow with contis was a nightmare--all my stops have a little "slide" at the end. Can't wait to try the WRG2s in snow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, CC. Can you give me any more detail on what you mean by "stiffer?" Also, how is your road noise, handling and mpg on dry pavement compared to the Contis?

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just put the Wrangler Adventures on my truck and they are very smooth. Now, hitting some objects has informed me that they are stiffer than the Contis...which is good in my mind. My wife stole the truck from me during a recent snow/sleet dump and she noticed a positive difference in handling. It's still early and I haven't run them through the paces, but looking forward to it. The Michelin Latitudes are a good tire, as well.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have just put the Wrangler Adventures on my truck and they are very smooth. Now, hitting some objects has informed me that they are stiffer than the Contis...which is good in my mind. My wife stole the truck from me during a recent snow/sleet dump and she noticed a positive difference in handling. It's still early and I haven't run them through the paces, but looking forward to it. The Michelin Latitudes are a good tire, as well.

Thanks, Bhos. Any experience with the Michelins in the snow?

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I've only had them a day, but just got home after driving 120 miles on dry pavement. In a word: Awesome. Smooth ride, they GRIP the road and run silent. I'm shocked how different the ride feels. Expecting up to a foot of snow on Monday. I'll update ....

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got them though because my contis could not make it up a mild 20 degree grade with fresh snow on the ground. Stopping in snow with contis was a nightmare--all my stops have a little "slide" at the end. Can't wait to try the WRG2s in snow.

My experience with the contis was not that bad, but they certainly aren't very good in the snow. Like you said, stopping is not as confidence-inspiring as it should be. The Hakka R2 SUV's are superb, but of course, they are dedicated winter tires.

thorgal

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Actually , after installing WRG2, I gained 2 mpg as I was coming changing from Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armors. GY where good AT at first , but they become coped and very dangerous after 30.000 miles, skidding all over road , loud and purely unpleasant.The first thing I noticed with Nokians was how quiet there were after switch.
All I know I will never buy a Goodyear tire again.I can't compare Contis to WRG3s as I never had the former, but I actually felt that they are softer compering to what I had before . If you google Nokian company, you will find out, that they have the biggest research winter tire facility in the world and ALL the other companies, such as Michelin,Pirelli,to name a few,TEST their winter tires there, in Finland.
WRG2 is ALL WEATHER tire, not to confuse it with all season tires , that everybody has,and it is truly an amazing performer in all, except. mud.
They come in huge variety of sizes for both 18 and 19 inch rims , in stock diameter and many more.A guy , that sells them told me , that a lot of RR guys runs them in Colorado and Utah,also this tire is very popular in Eastern Europe
, as a lot of Subaru runs them and also RR as well.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a knowledgeable local tire shop yesterday and asked him to recommend a tire based on my circumstances. He immediately started raving about the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas without me suggesting them. He claims they are better than the Contis in virtually every category. I might try them. I don't think I do anywhere near enough snow driving to justify the Nokians - even the all-weather ones. If the Bridgestones aren't adequate when I go to Mammoth, then I'll move to the Nokians.

Thanks, everyone! I'll report back after I get them installed.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9