Yet Another Stupid Tire Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

obdoc

Reaction score
I am very interested in this thread and the updates. My 2012 LR4 has 30k miles on it and I think the Contis are really starting to wear out. My experience on light snow was bad up in Utah this winter, particularly for stopping.

I live in Vegas so the heat becomes a real factor for the tires as well. Looking for a good everyday tire, capable enough in the snow in Utah, and for the occasional dirt trail ride. Mostly roads, but winter function really matters.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in this thread and the updates. My 2012 LR4 has 30k miles on it and I think the Contis are really starting to wear out. My experience on light snow was bad up in Utah this winter, particularly for stopping.

I live in Vegas so the heat becomes a real factor for the tires as well. Looking for a good everyday tire, capable enough in the snow in Utah, and for the occasional dirt trail ride. Mostly roads, but winter function really matters.

How the hell did you get 30k out of the contis? nice work.

chinochulo

Reaction score
How the hell did you get 30k out of the contis? nice work.

I had 27k on my contis and they had a good amount of tread left--just really bad in snow to the point that I had to dispose of them regardless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was really impressed with the GY Adventures when we had the snow here in DC a couple of days ago. Massive improvement in acceleration, stoping and traction! Can't wait to hit some trails in a couple of weeks.

mateored

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I just had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas installed 2 days ago (my Contis with about 36k on them were pretty much bald). Cost was around $1100 installed with tax and all costs.

I just drove from LA to Mammoth, which is about 300 miles. The Bridgestones are just as good on the freeway in all respects as the Contis. On this trip (which goes from sea level to 8000 feet), I got about 18.5 mpg, driving mostly between 65-75 mph with no roof rack.

So far, I'm happy. Unfortunately, even though they got 4 feet of snow last week, the roads appear to be mostly clear. However, I think there's a few spots I can go to test the snow handling. I'll report back.

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GT Wrangler AT Adv Update: Avoid if you do any moderate wheeling. I have lost 2 now due to sidewall punctures, and only one could I possibly see occurring. The OEMs withstood greater punishment. Your choices are either the 18" + spacers or Cooper Zeons, IMHO. Goodyear has been kind enough to replace the 2 tires for free, but I have a feeling this will be a recurring problem. Now, on snow and ice they have been great. I have put about 1,000 miles on the tires with 3 trips in the dirt. When the time to replace these comes, I will not hesitate to find 18" wheels, spacers and better tires.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bummer about the Wrangler Adventures. I thought all that talk about Kevlar and Durawall in their ads was more than just marketing and actually helped making for a more rugged tire, especially the sidewall (which is also the Achylles' heel of the Cooper Zeons honestly, especially the lower profile ones.)

Bhos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think for the LT version, it would be a more substantial sidewall, but on the P metrics it's just not.

Bummer about the Wrangler Adventures. I thought all that talk about Kevlar and Durawall in their ads was more than just marketing and actually helped making for a more rugged tire, especially the sidewall (which is also the Achylles' heel of the Cooper Zeons honestly, especially the lower profile ones.)

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: I just had the Bridgestone Dueler Alenzas installed 2 days ago ...

Living in Bozeman, MT, I can say that I have reasonably tested the Bridgestone Alenza and just spent all winter with Hakkapeliitta R2. For the OP purposes, the Bridgestone Alenza should be perfect. They perform remarkably well in snow and quite well on the highway.

Keep in mind, the LR4 has a great traction control system, is relatively heavy, and nicely weight balanced. Snow tires make it fantastic in snow, but a decent all-season tire should be fine for most situations, especially on plowed highways.

For more discussion on this see
http://www.landroverworld.org/forums/showthread.php?p=147901#post147901

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9